Google on Nexus 8 “Volantis” Release Date Confirmed During I/O with Moto 360
By Precious Silva | June 24, 2014 7:42 PM EST
Google's I/O lurks around the corner. According to reports, the conference will be a venue for the internet giant to introduce finally its Nexus 8 "Volantis" tablet along with other major products like Google Glass, Moto 360 and Android 5.0 Lollipop.
A Google search page is reflected in sunglasses in this photo illustration taken in Brussels May 30, 2014. Google has taken the first steps to meet a European ruling that citizens can have objectionable links removed from Internet search results, a ruling that pleased privacy campaigners but raised fears that the right can be abused to hide negative information.
Tablets have been a major point of interest for Google since its release of the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10. According to analysts, Google's move to the 8-inch tablet is to veer away from the saturated 7-inch market and venture to new opportunities for 8-inch slates. However, there are now contradictions to that.
According to a report by Android Police, Google's Nexus 8 is also the Nexus 9. The leak also provided images of the suspected Nexus 9 or "HTC Volantis." It is not clear yet why there is a name change or if Apple really changed the dimensions of the device to merit another label. Android Police also provided the following specs for the device:
- 8.9" Display at 2048x1440 (281ppi)
- NVIDIA Logan 64-bit processor (Tegra K1)
- 2GB RAM
- 16/32GB internal storage
- 8MP OIS main camera, 3MP front facing camera
- Aluminum zero-gap construction
- Stereo front-facing speakers
- 8.91"x5.98"x0.31" body (that's 22.63x15.19x0.79cm)
- 418g (or 427g with LTE) (that's 14.74/15.1 ounces
Huffington Post also reported that is has been a long timing considering Google remained hushed about its tablets following the release of the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7. According to analysts, Google may have gone for the Nexus 9 because it has encountered problems with suppliers for the Nexus 8. Reported features of the device include Nividia Tegra K1 and a screen similar to the iPad Air.
The Nexus 9 report contradicts previous reports that HTC will create the Nexus 8. The device should also be launched with the much anticipated Android 5.0. The upcoming mobile OS from Android will reportedly be part of the "Quantum Paper" project which seeks to unify systems across platforms like the internet, iOS and Android.
According to Huffington Post, Google Glass is also another big thing. The device will mark as another of Google's venture to expand its ecosystem and push wearable tech. This is also supported by predictions about Android Wear that will offer an all-dancing wearable OS. It will ship with Moto 360 smart watch.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft