Int'l Box Office Report: How to Train Your Dragons 2, 22 Jump Street, Maleficent And More
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 24, 2014 4:29 PM EST
The new entrant, "How to Train Your Dragons 2," has scored $43.5 million international sales as it rolled out into additional 28 markets over the weekend.
Cast members Ice Cube (L) and Channing Tatum greet each other at the premiere of "22 Jump Street" in Los Angeles, California June 10, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on June 13. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
Sony's "22 Jump Street" earned around $14.1 million sales from 30 countries. Angelina Jolie's "Maleficent" drew $20.3 million from China sales on its fourth opening week. Warner Bros.' Tom Cruise' "Edge of Tomorrow" nailed $21.5 million international sales while "Godzilla" peaks at $68.1 million sales in China.
Deadline cited "How to Train Your Dragons 2" is the second biggest animated opening in Brazil despite the ongoing FIFA World Cup 2014. Fox said the movie is three-folds bigger compared with the original film and 10 percent bigger than "Despicable Me 2."
"How to Train Your Dragon 2" is a thrilling second chapter set five years after the epic, "How to Train Your Dragon." The story revolves around Astrid, Snoutlout and the rest of the boys who are into dragon races as they uncover new territories and explore unchartered worlds. The two friends discovered a secret ice cave, which serves as the abode for a large group of new wild dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider. They were launched into a battle to protect the peace of their fantastical world of Hiccup and Toothless.
Meanwhile, the comedy film, "22 Jump Street," peaked $38.2 million global sales. The movie raked number 1 in Australia with $6.4 million sales in 359 screens. It also ranked number 2 in the Philippines with $790,000 on 118 screens.
According to Sony, "22 Jump Street" is almost seven folds bigger than "21 Jump Street." The movie sequel also performed better in Singapore, Denmark and Sweden compared with the original film.
The Jonah Hill-Channing Tatum tandem in "22 Jump Street" revolves around the story of two undercover cops whose department is relocated across the street to "22 Jump Street." They were tasked to unearth a mysterious campus drug dealer by posing as college students.
Tom Cruise' "Edge of Tomorrow" was at number three spot in China after "Maleficent" and "Godzilla." The sci-fi action thriller has international cume to date of $218.3 million. The movie is still in the number 1 spot in Korea with a total of $32 million sales in 638 screens across the country. Edge of Tomorrow will be going to Japan on July 4.
Edge of Tomorrow revolves around the story of a cowardly officer Lt. Col. Bill Cage who was killed within minutes after being plummeted into a suicide mission after being covered with blood from alien creatures called Mimics. He was lopped into a time-repeating alien invasion and was forced to relive the same battle over and over again.
On its fourth international release, Disney's "Maleficent" landed at the number 1 spot in China. Over the weekend, it amassed $44.7 million international sales across 54 countries. Now on its fourth opening weekend, the movie already generated an estimated amount of $335.6 million international sales which contributed to its global box office hit of $521.6 million. "Maleficent" will also hit the Japan cinemas on July 4 at the same time with "Edge of Tomorrow."
"Maleficent" is a recreation of Disney's 1959 animated film "Sleeping Beauty" which took the perspective of the villain Maleficent. She was a beautiful, pure-hearted young girl who turned into a fierce protector of their land against the invading army. With the betrayal of the man she loves, Maleficent put a curse of the invading king's infant only to realize later on that the princess was the key to peace and harmony in the kingdom.
"Godzilla" trailed behind "Maleficent" in the China market with additional $14 million sales in the country from about 6,200 screens. The movie earned additional $15 million international sales in 57 territories with a global peak of $282.4 million.
The epic action adventure "Godzilla" revolves around the story of the awe-inspiring Godzilla which awakens to restore the balance of nature which has been torn down by human interference and misuse.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed