Apple Inc is "F@*#ing Annoying!" – Bono
By Athena Yenko | June 24, 2014 4:07 PM EST
Speaking on stage at the Cannes Lions Festival, U2 frontman Bono called Apple Inc. fucking annoying in a positive and admirable way.
The Apple logo is pictured at a retail store in the Marina neighborhood in San Francisco, California April 23, 2014.
Apple Inc was among the companies that were early supporters to Bono's global nonprofit organisation dedicated to HIV patients - (Red). However, Apple had always remained mum and humble to the big donations and significant involvement it had been making for the organisation, Bono said. Steve Jobs had even refused to print the label (Red) on Apple devices or in any Apple stores.
Bono addresses his 'criticism' to Apple designer Jony Ive.
"One of the reasons it's such a credit to have Jony Ive on the stage, is because Apple is so fucking annoyingly quiet about the fact they've raised $75 million. Nobody knows!" Bono was quoted saying in a report from ADWEEK.
The frontman demonstrated how discreet Apple Inc was in its involvement with (Red). He showed an official (Red) iPad cover, removed the device and showed that the sign of company's association with (RED) had always been hidden behind the tablet.
"Where's the (Red) branding? Nobody can see that. This is modesty run amok. This is the Apple way. They're like a religious cult."
Ive apologised for Apple and acknowledged the company's strong support of the organisation.
"We started in 2006 with one (Red) product, a Nano, and now we've got well over half a dozen. It's been really, really special for us, Ive said.
By April, Apple had the highest money raised among the companies supporting the organisation.
In 2013, Ive worked with industrial designer Mac Newson in designing products for (Red) benefit auction. The products that came out of the project were the solid rose gold Apple EarPods, (Product) RED Mac Pro and customised Leica Digital rangefinder.
(Product)RED Mac Pro and EarPods amassed a total sales of more than $1.4 million.
The cylindrical Mac Pro was auctioned at nearly $1million and since dubbed as the most expensive desktop PC ever built.
In 2006, Apple launched special product (Red) ipods and accessories with portions of sales given to the Global Fund to Fight Aids, Tuberculusis and Malaria.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66