Apple Inc is "F@*#ing Annoying!" – Bono
By Athena Yenko | June 24, 2014 4:07 PM EST
Speaking on stage at the Cannes Lions Festival, U2 frontman Bono called Apple Inc. fucking annoying in a positive and admirable way.
The Apple logo is pictured at a retail store in the Marina neighborhood in San Francisco, California April 23, 2014.
Apple Inc was among the companies that were early supporters to Bono's global nonprofit organisation dedicated to HIV patients - (Red). However, Apple had always remained mum and humble to the big donations and significant involvement it had been making for the organisation, Bono said. Steve Jobs had even refused to print the label (Red) on Apple devices or in any Apple stores.
Bono addresses his 'criticism' to Apple designer Jony Ive.
"One of the reasons it's such a credit to have Jony Ive on the stage, is because Apple is so fucking annoyingly quiet about the fact they've raised $75 million. Nobody knows!" Bono was quoted saying in a report from ADWEEK.
The frontman demonstrated how discreet Apple Inc was in its involvement with (Red). He showed an official (Red) iPad cover, removed the device and showed that the sign of company's association with (RED) had always been hidden behind the tablet.
"Where's the (Red) branding? Nobody can see that. This is modesty run amok. This is the Apple way. They're like a religious cult."
Ive apologised for Apple and acknowledged the company's strong support of the organisation.
"We started in 2006 with one (Red) product, a Nano, and now we've got well over half a dozen. It's been really, really special for us, Ive said.
By April, Apple had the highest money raised among the companies supporting the organisation.
In 2013, Ive worked with industrial designer Mac Newson in designing products for (Red) benefit auction. The products that came out of the project were the solid rose gold Apple EarPods, (Product) RED Mac Pro and customised Leica Digital rangefinder.
(Product)RED Mac Pro and EarPods amassed a total sales of more than $1.4 million.
The cylindrical Mac Pro was auctioned at nearly $1million and since dubbed as the most expensive desktop PC ever built.
In 2006, Apple launched special product (Red) ipods and accessories with portions of sales given to the Global Fund to Fight Aids, Tuberculusis and Malaria.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]