Michael Schumacher Coma Update: 'Road to Recovery' Timeline
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 24, 2014 3:13 PM EST
News broke out last week that Formula One racing legend Michael Schumacher has woken up from a six-month long coma after he suffered from massive head injuries in a skiing accident late last year.
Such accident devastated the sporting community and motorsport followers worldwide. Schumacher holds a record of seven World Driver's Championship tiles during his career in Formula One, which he started with the Benetton team in the early 1990s.
Ferrari F1 driver Michael Schumacher of Germany celebrates after taking the pole position at the end of the qualifying session for the Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix at the Sakhir racetrack in Manama in this March 11, 2006 file photo. Formula One ex-champion Schumacher, who sustained severe head injuries in a ski accident in late 2013, is no longer in a coma and has left the French hospital where he was being treated since the accident, his spokeswoman said on June 16, 2014.
He won two championships with them and then took five consecutive titles with Ferrari. He spent his last racing years with the Mercedes team before finally retiring for good at the end of the 2012 season.
The accident occurred in December 2013. Here is a rundown of the incidents that occurred throughout his ordeal:
Dec. 29, 2013: Schumacher reportedly fell while skiing off-piste in a ski slope in the French resort of Meribel, a place that he frequently visits and was very familiar with. Schumacher owned a chalet in the compound. He was airlifted out of the site still conscious but with his helmet broken in two brought by the intensity of the impact. After his condition was assessed in a local hospital, he was transferred to Grenoble University Hospital where he underwent head surgery.
Dec. 30: The real gravity of the situation was revealed, announcing Schumacher has been put in an induced coma. Initial reports said he was conscious after the accident raising false hopes. It was revealed the following day that the injuries were life-threatening.
Dec. 31: Pressure on Schumacher's brain required doctors to do a second operation. He has passed 24 hours but no definite prognosis was given.
Jan. 1, 2014: An announcement was made that Schumacher's condition was stable.
Jan. 3: Schumacher celebrates his 45th birthday stillwas in a coma in Grenoble Hospital. Fans staged a vigil outside the hospital to show their support. Messages poured around the globe from fans through social media and statements from colleagues and other sports figures.
Jan. 4: Authorities started an investigation on the camera mounted on Schumacher's helmet at the time of the accident in an attempt to give clarity to the incidents that led to the fall.
Jan. 8: Reenactment of the accident was undertaken based on a two-minute video taken from Schumacher's helmet camera. No information was released on his speed and other factors which may have led to the accident.
Jan. 31: Almost exactly a month after the fall and his surgeries, Schumacher's medical team announced they have begun the process of bringing him out of the medically induced coma. The process was not expected to have immediate effects and the reduction of sedatives may extend into an indefinite period.
Feb. 18: Any foul play and third-party involvement in the accident was ruled out by French authorities and any criminal investigation was closed.
April 4: Initial reports surfaced Schumacher was making progress and showing moments of being awake and conscious.
June 16: Solid good news came out as Schumacher was reportedly taken out of intensive care in Grenoble and eventually transported to Lausanne, Switzerland where he will be undergoing rehabilitation in a local hospital close to his home. He was reportedly able to communicate with medical staff during the transfer by nodding and keeping his eyes open for long periods. Further reports claimed he can breathe on his own for short periods while awake but is still unable to talk or walk.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch