To Get a Good Night's Sleep: Put an End to Snoring
By Afza Fathima | June 24, 2014 1:36 PM EST
Many people worldwide don't get a good night's sleep of eight hours every night. Most who experience exhaustion, headaches or suffering from high blood pressure could be signs of a serious problem.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea symptoms include snoring.
For several sleepness nights, this could be a result of snoring or a common symptom of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), which is a potential health problem.
Research showed snoring, although considered a minor annoyance, can be very dangerous to one's health. More than 18 million Americans could be sufferng from OSA.
Due to a complete or partial obstruction of the airway, people suffering from OSA unknowningly stop breathing when they are asleep. The airway used to breathe is blocked with the relaxation of the jaw, throat and tongue muscles.This could lead to the lack of oxygen for over a minute or more and it occurs each night about a hundred times.
Most people wake up when they feel a complete or partial obstruction. Waking up often could leave one feeling exhausted.
OSA has been associated with other health problems, as reported by How Life Works like acid reflux, frequent night time urination, memory loss, stroke, depression, diabetes and heart attack. Those at higher risk are people over 35 years old.
OSA is expensive to treat. About $5,000 is required for an overnight visit in a sleep clinic where the doctors analyze the sleeping pattern and prescribe a treatment. The treatments could involve painful surgery or wearing an uncomfortable device that forces one to sleep with their airways open.
Published by Division of Sleep Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medican School in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, a case study showed while sleeping, wearing a chinstrap can help in the treatment of OSA.
These chinstraps are being sold by a company called MySnoringSolution. The device supports the lower jaw and tongue, preventing obstruction of the airway. It's made from a high-tech, lightweight and supercomfortable material.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast