To Get a Good Night's Sleep: Put an End to Snoring
By Afza Fathima | June 24, 2014 1:36 PM EST
Many people worldwide don't get a good night's sleep of eight hours every night. Most who experience exhaustion, headaches or suffering from high blood pressure could be signs of a serious problem.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea symptoms include snoring.
For several sleepness nights, this could be a result of snoring or a common symptom of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), which is a potential health problem.
Research showed snoring, although considered a minor annoyance, can be very dangerous to one's health. More than 18 million Americans could be sufferng from OSA.
Due to a complete or partial obstruction of the airway, people suffering from OSA unknowningly stop breathing when they are asleep. The airway used to breathe is blocked with the relaxation of the jaw, throat and tongue muscles.This could lead to the lack of oxygen for over a minute or more and it occurs each night about a hundred times.
Most people wake up when they feel a complete or partial obstruction. Waking up often could leave one feeling exhausted.
OSA has been associated with other health problems, as reported by How Life Works like acid reflux, frequent night time urination, memory loss, stroke, depression, diabetes and heart attack. Those at higher risk are people over 35 years old.
OSA is expensive to treat. About $5,000 is required for an overnight visit in a sleep clinic where the doctors analyze the sleeping pattern and prescribe a treatment. The treatments could involve painful surgery or wearing an uncomfortable device that forces one to sleep with their airways open.
Published by Division of Sleep Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medican School in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, a case study showed while sleeping, wearing a chinstrap can help in the treatment of OSA.
These chinstraps are being sold by a company called MySnoringSolution. The device supports the lower jaw and tongue, preventing obstruction of the airway. It's made from a high-tech, lightweight and supercomfortable material.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’