Viral Video Using Go Pro Camera: 'Longest Jump Story' [Watch YouTube Clip]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 24, 2014 1:27 PM EST
A heart-stopping viral video has shown a daredevil rally car driver attempting to break the world record for longest car jump but did not go as planned.
The 12.26-minute long video taken from a Go Pro camera was uploaded on YouTube. It has gone viral after amassing nearly 2.9 million views in four days.
Guerlain Chicherit was the man behind the wheels. He is a professional French skier and rally driver. He said on the camera he was trying to break the world record for the longest jump, which was 101 meters (332 feet).
He cited there had been thorough preparations of their team led by the Four Wheels Sports Creative Team Leader James Kirkland before the epic jump.
He noted the highly modified Mini Cooper had 1,000 horsepower, well-balanced and was foreign-drive. He cited the ramp was 20 tons of steel, which was heavy and sturdy.
Kirkland explained how the team underwent the car jumping process. The team started with 25 meters and the distance was increased by 15 meters daily. So the plan was 40, 55, 70, 85 and finally 100 meters.
On the day of the first jump, the 36-year-old daredevil rally diver said the first jump was the most difficult.
"Everything was new, the ramp was new, the car was new," Chicherit added. "I have to make sure my calculations are right."
With Go Pro camera tucked into the side of Chicherit's head, his jumps were recorded upclose and in stunningly vivid style. The initial jumps for 25, 40 up to 80 meters were done perfectly as planned. The rally driver had successfully collaborated all parameters like weight of the car, height of the ramp, distance for the landing, altitude and everything. For the first few days, Chicherit managed to make the car land to where it should be.
But on the fateful day when Chicherit was scheduled to jump for the 100 meters, he somehow had a haunting feeling of what will happen later that day.
On the YouTube note, the following words were posted: "When I woke up the morning of jump day, I called my wife and told her that I had a bad feeling. I've traveled the world for motorsports and seen hundreds of crashes - multiple car pile ups at high speeds, race cars rolling end-over-end, sometimes on fire."
For the final jump, Chicherit's target speed was at 160 kph. He was still seen driving over 133 kph when the unexpected thing happened during his landing. The death-defying moment was all captured in the camera as the car tumbled and flipped over in a grisly but fascinating style.
Chicherit was seen holding on for his life as the car flipped through the ramp, huge debris following the car. Good thing, he walked away from the accident with minor injuries.
Watch Guerlain Chicherit's Go Pro Camera: Longest Jump Story from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman