Seth Rogen and James Franco Slammed by North Korea
By Tanya Diente | June 24, 2014 12:51 PM EST
Seth Rogen and James Franco, both actors and close friends, have reportedly been criticized by North Korea after doing their new movie, "The Interview."
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attends a ceremony of awarding party and state commendations to the exemplary officials, captains and fishermen in fisheries of the Korean People's Army (KPA) at the conference hall of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) in this undated photograph released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on December 27, 2013. REUTERS/KCNA
Both Rogen and Franco played as celebrity journalists who were able to interview North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Un. Their opportunity took a turn for the covert but the U.S. government recruited them to assassinate the dictator instead.
It seemed the movie has ruffled some criticisms, particularly from Kim Myong-chol, the executive director of The Centre for North Korea-U.S. Peace and an unofficial spokesman for the regime in Pyongyang.
Kim Myong-chol told Telegraph that there was a special irony in the storyline of "The Interview."
"It shows the desperation of the U.S. government and American society," he said,
"A film about the assassination of a foreign leader mirrors what the U.S. has done in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Ukraine. And let us not forget who killed [President John F.] Kennedy - Americans," he added.
Kim Myong-chol advised American President Barack Obama to be careful in case the U.S. military also wants to kill him.
Although Kim Myong-chol said Dictator Kim Jong Un would probably watch "The Interview," he still dismissed Hollywood movies as being "full of assassination and executions," comparing them to British movies which for him are far better and more realistic.
"James Bond is a good character and those films are much more enjoyable," he said.
Previews of "The Interview" have attracted mixed reviews, according to Telegraph. Some online commentators suggested a comedy about murdering a genuine head of state is "distasteful" and "extremely irresponsible."
One commentator of the Yahoo Movies Web site said although "The Interview" is a comedy, the last thing people need is a movie that mocks North Korea, let alone about assassinating their president. The movie will only stir tensions further.
According to screenrant, "The Interview" shouldn't be taken at face value since it is a comedy. Rogen and Franco, as actors, do not in any way represent the U.S. government or its people.
Despite the criticisms, Rogen apparently is looking forward to know what Kim Jong Un thinks of "The Interview," which he has written along with Evan Goldberg.
Apparently Kim Jong Un plans on watching #TheInterview. I hope he likes it!!
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) June 20, 2014
Source:YouTube/Sony Pictures Entertainment
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues