Seth Rogen and James Franco Slammed by North Korea
By Tanya Diente | June 24, 2014 12:51 PM EST
Seth Rogen and James Franco, both actors and close friends, have reportedly been criticized by North Korea after doing their new movie, "The Interview."
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attends a ceremony of awarding party and state commendations to the exemplary officials, captains and fishermen in fisheries of the Korean People's Army (KPA) at the conference hall of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) in this undated photograph released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on December 27, 2013. REUTERS/KCNA
Both Rogen and Franco played as celebrity journalists who were able to interview North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Un. Their opportunity took a turn for the covert but the U.S. government recruited them to assassinate the dictator instead.
It seemed the movie has ruffled some criticisms, particularly from Kim Myong-chol, the executive director of The Centre for North Korea-U.S. Peace and an unofficial spokesman for the regime in Pyongyang.
Kim Myong-chol told Telegraph that there was a special irony in the storyline of "The Interview."
"It shows the desperation of the U.S. government and American society," he said,
"A film about the assassination of a foreign leader mirrors what the U.S. has done in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Ukraine. And let us not forget who killed [President John F.] Kennedy - Americans," he added.
Kim Myong-chol advised American President Barack Obama to be careful in case the U.S. military also wants to kill him.
Although Kim Myong-chol said Dictator Kim Jong Un would probably watch "The Interview," he still dismissed Hollywood movies as being "full of assassination and executions," comparing them to British movies which for him are far better and more realistic.
"James Bond is a good character and those films are much more enjoyable," he said.
Previews of "The Interview" have attracted mixed reviews, according to Telegraph. Some online commentators suggested a comedy about murdering a genuine head of state is "distasteful" and "extremely irresponsible."
One commentator of the Yahoo Movies Web site said although "The Interview" is a comedy, the last thing people need is a movie that mocks North Korea, let alone about assassinating their president. The movie will only stir tensions further.
According to screenrant, "The Interview" shouldn't be taken at face value since it is a comedy. Rogen and Franco, as actors, do not in any way represent the U.S. government or its people.
Despite the criticisms, Rogen apparently is looking forward to know what Kim Jong Un thinks of "The Interview," which he has written along with Evan Goldberg.
Apparently Kim Jong Un plans on watching #TheInterview. I hope he likes it!!
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) June 20, 2014
Source:YouTube/Sony Pictures Entertainment
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS