Seth Rogen and James Franco Slammed by North Korea
By Tanya Diente | June 24, 2014 12:51 PM EST
Seth Rogen and James Franco, both actors and close friends, have reportedly been criticized by North Korea after doing their new movie, "The Interview."
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attends a ceremony of awarding party and state commendations to the exemplary officials, captains and fishermen in fisheries of the Korean People's Army (KPA) at the conference hall of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) in this undated photograph released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on December 27, 2013. REUTERS/KCNA
Both Rogen and Franco played as celebrity journalists who were able to interview North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Un. Their opportunity took a turn for the covert but the U.S. government recruited them to assassinate the dictator instead.
It seemed the movie has ruffled some criticisms, particularly from Kim Myong-chol, the executive director of The Centre for North Korea-U.S. Peace and an unofficial spokesman for the regime in Pyongyang.
Kim Myong-chol told Telegraph that there was a special irony in the storyline of "The Interview."
"It shows the desperation of the U.S. government and American society," he said,
"A film about the assassination of a foreign leader mirrors what the U.S. has done in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Ukraine. And let us not forget who killed [President John F.] Kennedy - Americans," he added.
Kim Myong-chol advised American President Barack Obama to be careful in case the U.S. military also wants to kill him.
Although Kim Myong-chol said Dictator Kim Jong Un would probably watch "The Interview," he still dismissed Hollywood movies as being "full of assassination and executions," comparing them to British movies which for him are far better and more realistic.
"James Bond is a good character and those films are much more enjoyable," he said.
Previews of "The Interview" have attracted mixed reviews, according to Telegraph. Some online commentators suggested a comedy about murdering a genuine head of state is "distasteful" and "extremely irresponsible."
One commentator of the Yahoo Movies Web site said although "The Interview" is a comedy, the last thing people need is a movie that mocks North Korea, let alone about assassinating their president. The movie will only stir tensions further.
According to screenrant, "The Interview" shouldn't be taken at face value since it is a comedy. Rogen and Franco, as actors, do not in any way represent the U.S. government or its people.
Despite the criticisms, Rogen apparently is looking forward to know what Kim Jong Un thinks of "The Interview," which he has written along with Evan Goldberg.
Apparently Kim Jong Un plans on watching #TheInterview. I hope he likes it!!
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) June 20, 2014
Source:YouTube/Sony Pictures Entertainment
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch