England vs. Costa Rica Expert Pick, Predicted Lineup, Injury Report & Tactics - World Cup 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 24, 2014 12:35 PM EST
England will try to restore some lost pride before they head back home, as they go for the win against a surprising Costa Rica on Tuesday (12:00 p.m US EST/2:00 a.m Sydney time) at Estadio Minetra in Bilo Herozante, Brazil.
England's Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring against Uruguay during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo June 19, 2014.
What's at Stake
*England is out of the World Cup after bowing both to Italy and Uruguay by one goal (2-1). Wayne Rooney, who is expected to be the next captain of the Three Lions, has been pushing his team to play rough football, as he believed only nasty teams win the tournament.
The Englishmen might have already bombed out of the World Cup, but they want to leave Brazil on a good note, and a win over Costa Rica would surely help them ease the pain of a tragic campaign.
*Costa Rica, meanwhile, looks to continue their magical run after stunning former champions Uruguay 3-1 in the opener and Italy 1-0 last week. The Central Americans' teamwork and work ethic are simply remarkable to watch - characteristics that make them slight favorite over England.
England: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (back problems) will not play in the final group game after suffering a setback while training on Sunday. Phil Jones and Chris Smalling could make their start, while Frank Lampard is expected to captain the team, as replacement to Steven Gerrard.
"Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is also out after suffering a setback in training on Sunday, while 36-year-old midfielder Frank Lampard is expected to captain the side in place of Steven Gerrard," according to Telegraph football analyst John Ley.
Costa Rica: manager Luis Pinto is expected to sit out or cut the playing time of some of the team's key players to keep them fresh ahead of the round-of-16 showdown.
Costa Rica (Predicted Lineup, 3-4-2-1): Navas; Duarte, Gonzalez, Miller; Gamboa, Borges, Tejeda, Diaz; Brenes, Campbell; Ruiz.
England (Predicted Lineup, 4-2-3-1): Foster; Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Shaw; Wilshere, Lampard; Lallana, Barkley, Milner; Sturridge.
Ley is expecting England to fight in the early going of the match. England is trying to avoid a campaign without a point in the World Cup, while Costa Rica wants a much easier opponent in the knockout stages.
Ley predicted a 1-1 draw between England and Costa Rica.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28