England vs. Costa Rica Expert Pick, Predicted Lineup, Injury Report & Tactics - World Cup 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 24, 2014 12:35 PM EST
England will try to restore some lost pride before they head back home, as they go for the win against a surprising Costa Rica on Tuesday (12:00 p.m US EST/2:00 a.m Sydney time) at Estadio Minetra in Bilo Herozante, Brazil.
England's Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring against Uruguay during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo June 19, 2014.
What's at Stake
*England is out of the World Cup after bowing both to Italy and Uruguay by one goal (2-1). Wayne Rooney, who is expected to be the next captain of the Three Lions, has been pushing his team to play rough football, as he believed only nasty teams win the tournament.
The Englishmen might have already bombed out of the World Cup, but they want to leave Brazil on a good note, and a win over Costa Rica would surely help them ease the pain of a tragic campaign.
*Costa Rica, meanwhile, looks to continue their magical run after stunning former champions Uruguay 3-1 in the opener and Italy 1-0 last week. The Central Americans' teamwork and work ethic are simply remarkable to watch - characteristics that make them slight favorite over England.
England: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (back problems) will not play in the final group game after suffering a setback while training on Sunday. Phil Jones and Chris Smalling could make their start, while Frank Lampard is expected to captain the team, as replacement to Steven Gerrard.
"Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is also out after suffering a setback in training on Sunday, while 36-year-old midfielder Frank Lampard is expected to captain the side in place of Steven Gerrard," according to Telegraph football analyst John Ley.
Costa Rica: manager Luis Pinto is expected to sit out or cut the playing time of some of the team's key players to keep them fresh ahead of the round-of-16 showdown.
Costa Rica (Predicted Lineup, 3-4-2-1): Navas; Duarte, Gonzalez, Miller; Gamboa, Borges, Tejeda, Diaz; Brenes, Campbell; Ruiz.
England (Predicted Lineup, 4-2-3-1): Foster; Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Shaw; Wilshere, Lampard; Lallana, Barkley, Milner; Sturridge.
Ley is expecting England to fight in the early going of the match. England is trying to avoid a campaign without a point in the World Cup, while Costa Rica wants a much easier opponent in the knockout stages.
Ley predicted a 1-1 draw between England and Costa Rica.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage