PS4 News: Hi-Res Audio for Consoles Trademarked, a Loss in Social Media Votes and 12 New PS Games Coming
By Gel Galang | June 24, 2014 12:35 PM EST
The latest PS4 firmware update had already been out for weeks, with only hints of the upcoming system update from insiders to keep fans hoping for more of the features to debut on Sony's next-gen console.
A PlayStation 4 controller is displayed at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California, June 11, 2014.
There are still a handful of promised features on the PS4, which, as per Sony's update to fans, will be dealt with at the right time. In a previous interview with Kotaku, Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida has disclosed what's going on in relation to the production of the promised PS4 features.
"Our team has been working on it. There are some things that we announced in February of last year that were not planned for the launch timeframe," Yoshida told Kotaku regarding the friend takes-over-your-game and interact feature and the suspend/resume feature on the PS4.
In line with this, there's another feature that may be farther in the works than others. This is in relation to the audio component for PlayStation consoles.
DualShockers reports Sony has trademarked "Hi-Res Audio" with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Hi-Res Audio is a 24-bit digital audio format for commercial audio devices, specifically for the games department.
What's even more interesting is that the Hi-Res Audio feature has mentioned home vidoe game machines and hand-held game devices, which can pertain to the PS4 and the PS Vita.
Xbox One Trumps PS4 in Social Media Poll
For all of the PS4's magic touch and influence, it seems the latest poll in the U.S. to see which console is popular has shown the PS4 may have lost its touch there.
An analysis created by Movoto Real Estate Blog has shown the Xbox One is more popular based on a votation conducted via Facebook. And according to Polygon, the winner was clearly the Xbox One, with a whopping dominance over 22 states compared to the PS4's 19.
The Wii U was also part of the poll, but it did not win in any states and had landed in third in all, even when the PS4 and Xbox One had managed to end in a tie. But obviously, this is not an official poll of any kind, nor should the information be taken as anything but as a fun experiment conducted online.
In the same way the PS4 was said to have seen popularity in social media way back early this year, it may be seen that the Xbox One may be looking at its tide turning. But technically, this was conducted more as a fun poll.
The Drop's 12 Games Coming to PlayStation Consoles
This week for the PlayStation brings a longer list of game releases. Twelve (12) titles are set to debut on the PS4, PS3 and PS Vita.
The PS4 will be getting "Blue Estate," which is based on the comic books from creator Viktor Kalvachev. "R.B.I. Baseball 14" will also be out for the PS4. It's a game for fans of retro baseball with modern graphics. Two more titles will be coming to the PS4 as well as the PS3, namely "Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark"—and in time for the movie, too—and "Valiant Hearts: The Great War" from Ubisoft.
The PS3 will be getting "GRID Autosport," which features races in the world of motorsport. Coming in for the PS3 and the PS Vita are "Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland," a remake of the 2010 cult classic, and "XBlaze Code: Embryo," which tells the story before "BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger."
Other titles for the PS Vita are zombie-infested "Z-Run," "BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma," "Farming Simulator 14" and "End of Serenity," with the last one also appearing for the PSP. "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon" will also be released as a PS2 Classic.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid