PS4 News: Hi-Res Audio for Consoles Trademarked, a Loss in Social Media Votes and 12 New PS Games Coming
By Gel Galang | June 24, 2014 12:35 PM EST
The latest PS4 firmware update had already been out for weeks, with only hints of the upcoming system update from insiders to keep fans hoping for more of the features to debut on Sony's next-gen console.
A PlayStation 4 controller is displayed at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California, June 11, 2014.
There are still a handful of promised features on the PS4, which, as per Sony's update to fans, will be dealt with at the right time. In a previous interview with Kotaku, Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida has disclosed what's going on in relation to the production of the promised PS4 features.
"Our team has been working on it. There are some things that we announced in February of last year that were not planned for the launch timeframe," Yoshida told Kotaku regarding the friend takes-over-your-game and interact feature and the suspend/resume feature on the PS4.
In line with this, there's another feature that may be farther in the works than others. This is in relation to the audio component for PlayStation consoles.
DualShockers reports Sony has trademarked "Hi-Res Audio" with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Hi-Res Audio is a 24-bit digital audio format for commercial audio devices, specifically for the games department.
What's even more interesting is that the Hi-Res Audio feature has mentioned home vidoe game machines and hand-held game devices, which can pertain to the PS4 and the PS Vita.
Xbox One Trumps PS4 in Social Media Poll
For all of the PS4's magic touch and influence, it seems the latest poll in the U.S. to see which console is popular has shown the PS4 may have lost its touch there.
An analysis created by Movoto Real Estate Blog has shown the Xbox One is more popular based on a votation conducted via Facebook. And according to Polygon, the winner was clearly the Xbox One, with a whopping dominance over 22 states compared to the PS4's 19.
The Wii U was also part of the poll, but it did not win in any states and had landed in third in all, even when the PS4 and Xbox One had managed to end in a tie. But obviously, this is not an official poll of any kind, nor should the information be taken as anything but as a fun experiment conducted online.
In the same way the PS4 was said to have seen popularity in social media way back early this year, it may be seen that the Xbox One may be looking at its tide turning. But technically, this was conducted more as a fun poll.
The Drop's 12 Games Coming to PlayStation Consoles
This week for the PlayStation brings a longer list of game releases. Twelve (12) titles are set to debut on the PS4, PS3 and PS Vita.
The PS4 will be getting "Blue Estate," which is based on the comic books from creator Viktor Kalvachev. "R.B.I. Baseball 14" will also be out for the PS4. It's a game for fans of retro baseball with modern graphics. Two more titles will be coming to the PS4 as well as the PS3, namely "Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark"—and in time for the movie, too—and "Valiant Hearts: The Great War" from Ubisoft.
The PS3 will be getting "GRID Autosport," which features races in the world of motorsport. Coming in for the PS3 and the PS Vita are "Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland," a remake of the 2010 cult classic, and "XBlaze Code: Embryo," which tells the story before "BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger."
Other titles for the PS Vita are zombie-infested "Z-Run," "BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma," "Farming Simulator 14" and "End of Serenity," with the last one also appearing for the PSP. "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon" will also be released as a PS2 Classic.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu