FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #41 Honduras vs. Switzerland
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 24, 2014 12:27 PM EST
Honduras 0 Switzerland 3
Switzerland's national soccer team players (L to R) Admir Mehmedi, Valon Behrami, Xherdan Shaqiri, Gelson Fernandes and Ricardo Rodriguez attend a training session at the stadium in Porto Seguro June 22, 2014.
The forty-first match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Honduras and Switzerland. The Group E match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be Switzerland's last chance to try for a berth in the "group of 16." Honduras, on the other hand, will try to finish the group stage with at least one point.
Switzerland: The Swiss team came to the tournament with a heavy load of expectations on its shoulder. However, its very first match set off in a different way. It conceded a goal within 22 minutes of the match and went behind Ecuador. It was a miraculous comeback as Haris Seferović scored seconds before the final whistle and secured first 3 points. It suffered a heavy loss against France in its next match. It managed to score twice but conceded 5 goals. The European team must forget about its last match as this will be its chance to go to the next round. It will hope that France continues its great form and wins against Ecuador. If it manages to win against Honduras, it will grab 6 points, enough to go to the "round of 16."
Honduras: It has been a poor tournament for Honduras. It has played 2 matches so far and managed to secure no points yet. It has scored only 1 goal so far and conceded 5. Carlo Costly scored the only goal for his team against Ecuador. It lost the match 1-2 even though it was the first to score. France beat it convincingly hitting its net thrice. There is not much Honduras can boast of in this tournament. That is why this match is extremely important for the Central American team as this is its last chance to restore some pride. The fans deserve to see a last glimmer of excellence from the team.
Head to Head
These two teams played only once against each other before. It ended in a draw.
Switzerland: Haris Seferović and Admir Mehmedi
Honduras: Carlo Costly
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 25, which means it is 6 am on June 26 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Amazonia in Manaus.
Switzerland will outsmart Honduras and win it 3-1. That will be enough for the Swiss to go to the next round.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS