FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #41 Honduras vs. Switzerland
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 24, 2014 12:27 PM EST
Honduras 0 Switzerland 3
Switzerland's national soccer team players (L to R) Admir Mehmedi, Valon Behrami, Xherdan Shaqiri, Gelson Fernandes and Ricardo Rodriguez attend a training session at the stadium in Porto Seguro June 22, 2014.
The forty-first match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Honduras and Switzerland. The Group E match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be Switzerland's last chance to try for a berth in the "group of 16." Honduras, on the other hand, will try to finish the group stage with at least one point.
Switzerland: The Swiss team came to the tournament with a heavy load of expectations on its shoulder. However, its very first match set off in a different way. It conceded a goal within 22 minutes of the match and went behind Ecuador. It was a miraculous comeback as Haris Seferović scored seconds before the final whistle and secured first 3 points. It suffered a heavy loss against France in its next match. It managed to score twice but conceded 5 goals. The European team must forget about its last match as this will be its chance to go to the next round. It will hope that France continues its great form and wins against Ecuador. If it manages to win against Honduras, it will grab 6 points, enough to go to the "round of 16."
Honduras: It has been a poor tournament for Honduras. It has played 2 matches so far and managed to secure no points yet. It has scored only 1 goal so far and conceded 5. Carlo Costly scored the only goal for his team against Ecuador. It lost the match 1-2 even though it was the first to score. France beat it convincingly hitting its net thrice. There is not much Honduras can boast of in this tournament. That is why this match is extremely important for the Central American team as this is its last chance to restore some pride. The fans deserve to see a last glimmer of excellence from the team.
Head to Head
These two teams played only once against each other before. It ended in a draw.
Switzerland: Haris Seferović and Admir Mehmedi
Honduras: Carlo Costly
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 25, which means it is 6 am on June 26 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Amazonia in Manaus.
Switzerland will outsmart Honduras and win it 3-1. That will be enough for the Swiss to go to the next round.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage