FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #41 Honduras vs. Switzerland
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 24, 2014 12:27 PM EST
Honduras 0 Switzerland 3
Switzerland's national soccer team players (L to R) Admir Mehmedi, Valon Behrami, Xherdan Shaqiri, Gelson Fernandes and Ricardo Rodriguez attend a training session at the stadium in Porto Seguro June 22, 2014.
The forty-first match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Honduras and Switzerland. The Group E match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be Switzerland's last chance to try for a berth in the "group of 16." Honduras, on the other hand, will try to finish the group stage with at least one point.
Switzerland: The Swiss team came to the tournament with a heavy load of expectations on its shoulder. However, its very first match set off in a different way. It conceded a goal within 22 minutes of the match and went behind Ecuador. It was a miraculous comeback as Haris Seferović scored seconds before the final whistle and secured first 3 points. It suffered a heavy loss against France in its next match. It managed to score twice but conceded 5 goals. The European team must forget about its last match as this will be its chance to go to the next round. It will hope that France continues its great form and wins against Ecuador. If it manages to win against Honduras, it will grab 6 points, enough to go to the "round of 16."
Honduras: It has been a poor tournament for Honduras. It has played 2 matches so far and managed to secure no points yet. It has scored only 1 goal so far and conceded 5. Carlo Costly scored the only goal for his team against Ecuador. It lost the match 1-2 even though it was the first to score. France beat it convincingly hitting its net thrice. There is not much Honduras can boast of in this tournament. That is why this match is extremely important for the Central American team as this is its last chance to restore some pride. The fans deserve to see a last glimmer of excellence from the team.
Head to Head
These two teams played only once against each other before. It ended in a draw.
Switzerland: Haris Seferović and Admir Mehmedi
Honduras: Carlo Costly
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 25, which means it is 6 am on June 26 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Amazonia in Manaus.
Switzerland will outsmart Honduras and win it 3-1. That will be enough for the Swiss to go to the next round.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar