FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #41 Honduras vs. Switzerland
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 24, 2014 12:27 PM EST
Honduras 0 Switzerland 3
Switzerland's national soccer team players (L to R) Admir Mehmedi, Valon Behrami, Xherdan Shaqiri, Gelson Fernandes and Ricardo Rodriguez attend a training session at the stadium in Porto Seguro June 22, 2014.
The forty-first match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Honduras and Switzerland. The Group E match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be Switzerland's last chance to try for a berth in the "group of 16." Honduras, on the other hand, will try to finish the group stage with at least one point.
Switzerland: The Swiss team came to the tournament with a heavy load of expectations on its shoulder. However, its very first match set off in a different way. It conceded a goal within 22 minutes of the match and went behind Ecuador. It was a miraculous comeback as Haris Seferović scored seconds before the final whistle and secured first 3 points. It suffered a heavy loss against France in its next match. It managed to score twice but conceded 5 goals. The European team must forget about its last match as this will be its chance to go to the next round. It will hope that France continues its great form and wins against Ecuador. If it manages to win against Honduras, it will grab 6 points, enough to go to the "round of 16."
Honduras: It has been a poor tournament for Honduras. It has played 2 matches so far and managed to secure no points yet. It has scored only 1 goal so far and conceded 5. Carlo Costly scored the only goal for his team against Ecuador. It lost the match 1-2 even though it was the first to score. France beat it convincingly hitting its net thrice. There is not much Honduras can boast of in this tournament. That is why this match is extremely important for the Central American team as this is its last chance to restore some pride. The fans deserve to see a last glimmer of excellence from the team.
Head to Head
These two teams played only once against each other before. It ended in a draw.
Switzerland: Haris Seferović and Admir Mehmedi
Honduras: Carlo Costly
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 25, which means it is 6 am on June 26 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Amazonia in Manaus.
Switzerland will outsmart Honduras and win it 3-1. That will be enough for the Swiss to go to the next round.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase