FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #44 Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Iran
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 24, 2014 12:08 PM EST
Bosnia-Herzegovina 3 Iran 1
Iran's Masoud Shojaei (L) is shown the yellow card by referee Milorad Mazic of Serbia as teammate Andranik Teymourian watches during their 2014 World Cup Group F soccer match against Argentina at the Mineirao stadium in Belo Horizonte June 21, 2014.
The forty-fourth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran. The Group F match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be Iran's last chance to try for a berth in the "group of 16" and create history. Bosnia-Herzegovina, on the other hand, will try to finish the group stages with at least one point.
Bosnia-Herzegovina: Bosnia-Herzegovina's tournament started well as it managed to resist Argentina for quite a long time. It even scored an equaliser and headed to a draw until a certain Lionel Messi snatched the match off its hands. When it lost to Nigeria in the following match, its tournament was virtually over. This match is Bosnia-Herzegovina's last chance to restore some pride as it has not managed to secure any point so far. What it can also do is that it can prevent Iran from going to the next round if it manages to end the match even in a draw.
Iran: Iran has only taken part in 4 World Cups so far, and it has never been able to go beyond the first round. However, this is its first opportunity to make it possible. It can hope that Nigeria will lose against Argentina. That means a win here will settle the goal difference issue with Nigeria and give it 4 points to qualify to the "round of 16." Nigeria presently has +1 goal difference and Iran -1. Iran is yet to score in this tournament. It needs to score at least twice to make it absolutely sure that it qualifies. Iran has maintained an extremely defensive strategy so far. It needs to change its strategy for this match to take advantage of the golden opportunity.
Head to Head
These two teams played 5 times against each other before. One match ended in a draw, and Iran won the other 4. There were 23 goals between the two. Iran scored 16 and Bosnia-Herzegovina 7.
Bosnia-Herzegovina: Vedad Ibišević
Iran: Masoud Shojaei
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 25, which means it is 2 am on June 26 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador.
Iran showed in its match against Argentina that it had the potential to have strong counterattacks. Its past record against Bosnia-Herzegovina has been impressive. It will win the match 2-1 and go to the next round for the first time.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’