FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #44 Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Iran
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 24, 2014 12:08 PM EST
Bosnia-Herzegovina 3 Iran 1
Iran's Masoud Shojaei (L) is shown the yellow card by referee Milorad Mazic of Serbia as teammate Andranik Teymourian watches during their 2014 World Cup Group F soccer match against Argentina at the Mineirao stadium in Belo Horizonte June 21, 2014.
The forty-fourth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iran. The Group F match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be Iran's last chance to try for a berth in the "group of 16" and create history. Bosnia-Herzegovina, on the other hand, will try to finish the group stages with at least one point.
Bosnia-Herzegovina: Bosnia-Herzegovina's tournament started well as it managed to resist Argentina for quite a long time. It even scored an equaliser and headed to a draw until a certain Lionel Messi snatched the match off its hands. When it lost to Nigeria in the following match, its tournament was virtually over. This match is Bosnia-Herzegovina's last chance to restore some pride as it has not managed to secure any point so far. What it can also do is that it can prevent Iran from going to the next round if it manages to end the match even in a draw.
Iran: Iran has only taken part in 4 World Cups so far, and it has never been able to go beyond the first round. However, this is its first opportunity to make it possible. It can hope that Nigeria will lose against Argentina. That means a win here will settle the goal difference issue with Nigeria and give it 4 points to qualify to the "round of 16." Nigeria presently has +1 goal difference and Iran -1. Iran is yet to score in this tournament. It needs to score at least twice to make it absolutely sure that it qualifies. Iran has maintained an extremely defensive strategy so far. It needs to change its strategy for this match to take advantage of the golden opportunity.
Head to Head
These two teams played 5 times against each other before. One match ended in a draw, and Iran won the other 4. There were 23 goals between the two. Iran scored 16 and Bosnia-Herzegovina 7.
Bosnia-Herzegovina: Vedad Ibišević
Iran: Masoud Shojaei
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 25, which means it is 2 am on June 26 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador.
Iran showed in its match against Argentina that it had the potential to have strong counterattacks. Its past record against Bosnia-Herzegovina has been impressive. It will win the match 2-1 and go to the next round for the first time.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Daley Blind Is 'Not Strong Enough' For The Premier League - Scholes
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How