Probable World Cup 2014 Fix: USA vs. Germany Draws Comparison to West Germany vs. Austria in 1982
By James Patrick Quizon | June 24, 2014 11:53 AM EST
For failing to secure the victory with just seconds to go in their match against Portugal, the United States of America are still not safe in advancing to the next round. A win over Germany on June 26 will settle the deal although a draw could be enough for the Americans to make the knockout stage.
U.S. coach Juergen Klinsmann hugs Clint Dempsey of the U.S. during the 2014 World Cup G soccer match between Portugal and the U.S. at the Amazonia arena in Manaus June 22, 2014.
The latter scenario invokes the theory that both Germany and USA will take each other lightly come Saturday and there are talks that the match is already fixed.
For West Germany and Austria to advance from the group stages then, the former had to win by 2 goals or less. A draw or a West Germany win by 3 or more goals would have meant Austria getting the boot and Algeria replacing them as the qualifiers for the group.
“It was not to be... the West German team quickly scored a goal and then, as football fans at the stadium and in their homes howled their displeasure, both teams seemed to sit back and kick the ball around for the remainder of the game, with nobody making a serious effort to score! The game ended with a 1-0 West German win, and both West Germany and Austria moved on while the proud Desert Foxes of Algeria were relegated to the also-rans,” recounted Algeria.com in an aptly-titled article, “The Game that Changed the World Cup”
“The outcry that ensued was heard at the upper reaches of the FIFA hierarchy, which pledged that never again would matches be so grossly manipulated. At the 1986 World Cup, a new qualification system was unveiled that ensured that the final pair of games in each group were played on the same day, with the same starting times.”
32 years later, Germany and USA (and this year’s Algeria: Ghana and/or Portugal) find themselves in a similar scenario. A draw will mean both will advance to the next round but a loss for either team could mean elimination depending on the result of the Portugal-Ghana match.
"There's no such call," US head coach Jurgen Klinsmann said to Yahoo Sports about match-fixing allegations. “Jogi is doing his job and I'm doing my job. I'm going to do everything to get to the round of 16. That's what I'm going to do. There's no time to have friendship calls. It's about business now."
Klinsmann, a former German national team player and coach is referring to his former ward Joachim Low, who took over the German helm when Klinsmann left in 2006.
Fighting words for a huge match-up but all soccer fans are hoping that both squads won’t channel their inner West Germany-Austria at the expense of the integrity of the sport.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories