iPhone 6 on Release Date Confirmed with TouchID, LTE Cat6 Chip as July Mass Production Starts – Reports
By Erik Pineda | June 24, 2014 11:07 AM EST
Screenshot from YouTube Video
iPhone 6 in Sam Beckett's concept video
Meanwhile, volume production for the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models appears set to start by July this year as CNET reported that key Asian manufacturing partners of Apple are currently on hiring spree.
Ramped up hiring
Foxconn, the same report said, is looking to beef up its workforce by another 100,000 heads purportedly to meet the pent up orders for the next iPhone. The Chinese firm is said to have been the recipient of some 70 per cent of the total iPhone orders this 2014.
Pegatron, another assembler of iPhones and iPads, is also in aggressive recruitment mode as it won the remaining iPhone 6 requirements this year.
CNET said that it sourced its information from the Taiwan-based The Economic Daily News, which added that by next month production activities for the smaller iPhone 6 will commence while assembly for the phablet-size model is scheduled in August.
And as mentioned, the iPhone 6 superb capabilities are gradually firming up with a new report indicating that the Touch ID fingerprint scanner presently exclusive to the iPhone 5S will be generously packaged with the sequel.
The expected improvement is mostly on the biometric reader's hardware, which according to MacRumors will be more durable in the second coming.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company will supply the 2014 Touch ID that will be used not only on the iPhone 6 but also on iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3, which is in line to an earlier forecast issued by Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities that states the feature will be an across the board deployment for iOS devices.
Bulk shipments of the Touch ID components are expected to be delivered starting on July, the report said, which is again aligned with the information above that assembly lines for the iPhone 6 will begin to hum and roll in the same month.
Another chip that likely will find its way to the next iPhone is the latest LTE that is referred to as Category 6 version that theoretically will boost the device's wireless broadband speed by up to 300mbps.
According to Apple Insider, this cellular chip is Qualcomm made.
While Apple has yet to confirm, persistent rumours point to a September 2014 release date for the iPhone 6 though some quarters believe that Apple will push for a simultaneous of the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models in October.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon