Coldplay’s Chris Martin Slams ‘Sunrise’ For Empty Studio During Performance
By Anne Lu | June 24, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Coldplay lead vocalist Chris Martin has slammed “Sunrise” for the band’s lacklustre reception. The British group recorded a segment inside a studio for the Channel 7 breakfast show, and no one was present to enjoy their music.
Chris Martin of Coldplay performs at the MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2014 in Chiba, near Tokyo June 14, 2014. REUTERS/Yuya Shino
According to The Sunday Telegraph, Martin was not pleased at all with the reception they pre-recorded their performance for “Sunrise.”
After Coldplay finished filming three songs on Channel 9’s “The Voice” on Friday night, Martin thanked the crowd for “f****** brilliant for a TV audience.”
He then blasted the morning program, saying, “We filmed for a show called Sunrise today, and there was no one there. We were in a (small) room and frankly we were s*** because of it.”
But according to news.com.au, Martin’s criticism of “Sunrise” might be groundless after all.
The band’s management apparently “insisted on the closed set” for their performance, and has actually banned studio audience from the recording.
“There was nobody in the studio at all except for the crew,” a source told the Web site. “We had suggested bigger venues other than the Martin Place, but they wanted to do it in our studio.”
And as hosts Samantha Armytage and David Koch were in New Zealand during Coldplay’s visit, the producers also pitched other dates for the band’s appearance in the show, but the band’s management remained adamant at their chosen date.
Executive producer Michael Pell said “there are no hard feelings.”
“They did a massive outdoor concert on the steps of the Opera House for us about a year and a half ago, with a thousand viewers in that audience,” he said, adding that Channel 7 “loves” the Grammy Award-winning band.
“It was a throwaway line and there are no hard feelings.”
Coldplay’s “Sunrise” appearance was aired Tuesday morning.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People