The Leftovers Episode 1 Spoilers/Preview: Sudden Departure of Loved Ones without an Explanation
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 24, 2014 9:17 AM EST
The much anticipated new HBO show, "The Leftovers," is the story of people who were left behind after 2 percent of the world population disappeared in a rapture kind of event, without any explanation.
The show is set in a small fictional town of Mapleton in New York. It features Justin Theroux as Kevin Garvey, the police chief of Mapleton, the town which is trying to come to terms with the unexplainable event that took place three years ago. According to The Washington Post's review, "three years earlier, on Oct. 14, one in every 50 or so people randomly vanished in a single instance -- a total of 2 percent of global population. They didn't burn up or float away. They're just inexplicably gone."
The review reveals that the episode opens with people seeing their loved ones disappear, all of a sudden, and they are unable to do anything about it. They are there one moment and the next moment they cease to exist, without dying. Carrie Coon plays Nora Durst, a woman who has lost her husband and two kids on Oct. 14.
The review says that "The Leftovers" is "preoccupied with how everyday life changed" because of the sudden departure. It reveals that a young man drops out of college and follows a "menacing cult leader," while another character abandons her husband and children and joins a group, which demands vow of complete silence from its members.
Official Synopsis of "The Leftovers" pilot episode: "Three years after millions of people suddenly vanished, police chief Kevin Garvey juggles personal and professional challenges."
"The Leftovers" is based on Tom Perrotta's book of the same name. He has co-written the pilot episode with Damon Lindelof. Peter Berg has directed the first episode.
Earlier this year in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Lindelof said, "This is going to be a show about sudden and abrupt loss and more importantly, what will at least in its initial presentation seem to be one that you can't receive closure from."
He said that if someone dies, "that's a horrible thing and they must be mourned. But in this instance, you don't even know if you're supposed to mourn who's been departed because they could be walking through your door tomorrow, or you could be zapped up or down or sideways to wherever they are."
"So this lack of understanding as to what just occurred is the most pervasive feeling, not just in the moment that it happens but certainly three years later when the story starts."
"The Leftovers" is scheduled to premiere on June 29, 2014. HBO has picked the show for full series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Warns Gareth Of Dire Consequences In New Promo [VIDEO]
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements