Malaysians Protest Anew Lynas Rare Earths Plant; Aussie Environmental Protester Among Those Arrested
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 24, 2014 8:49 AM EST
About 1,000 protesters blocked the entrance of the Lynas Advanced Materials facility in Gebeng, Kuantan, on Sunday as Malaysians push anew for the closure of the facility.
The Kuantan police arrested 16 demonstrators, 14 men and two women, who were detained for illegal assembly and rioting, reports Bernama.
Among those arrested is Natalie Lowrey, an Australian environmental protester. She was arrested 4 pm on Sunday and held in the Kuantan Police Station overnight, according to Tully McIntyre, an Australian anti-mines campaigner.
"She's a bit unsure of the charges that she'll be facing today in court. I seems one of the police, the head of police here in Kuantan, has stated that she may just be charged with breaching her visa, but there is talk that she could face charges in the Malaysia Riot Act," McIntyre said.
She said the massive opposition against the plant continues even if the Australian company-owned Lynas plant started to operate in January 2013 after months of delay due to opposition from Malaysians and pro-environment groups over fears of radioactive contamination.
In September, Lynas's two-year operating licence is due for renewal.
YouTube/Green Left TV
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop