Former Liberal Leader Seeks Retention of Carbon Tax as PM Tony Abbott Reintroduces Bill to Dismantle the Levy
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 24, 2014 8:45 AM EST
Like the Coalition government's proposed federal budget, more Australians are taking the side of the Opposition when it comes to the carbon tax, including some Liberal officials.
One of them is former Liberal leader John Hewson who said that the Abbott government, which is reintroducing legislation to repeal the Gillard government-backed carbon tax, must not shift the burden for reducing carbon dioxide emissions to taxpayers because the levy works, The Daily Telegraph reports.
"It is quite clear now that these laws are not a 'wrecking ball' or 'python squeeze' ... Since the carbon laws were enacted, Australia's pollution has been reduced by millions of tonnes and the economy has grown. Average households are not worse off as many feared they could be," said Hewson who joined the Stop the Dinosaurs campaign of the Climate Commission.
He considered it a tragedy if the Abbott government's alternative policy, the Direct Action, would shift the burden of pollution reduction from polluters to taxpayers at a time when there is also a budget crisis.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott told the Parliament on Monday that he has introduced again legislation that was previously rejected by Labor and Greens in the Senate to repeal the carbon tax. It is timed with the new batch of crossbench senators joining the body on July 1.
By doing so, he insisted that the country would remove 1,000 pages of rules and regulations and save businesses and individuals about $9 billion a year.
He also claimed households would save $550 a year if carbon pricing would not be passed on to them by businesses and promised electricity bills would go down by $200 a year and gas bills by $70.
However, the latest survey found that more Aussies are now supporting the carbon tax.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date