Samsung Galaxy S5 Active vs. HTC One M8 – Specs and Price Comparison
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 24, 2014 8:24 AM EST
The HTC One M8 was released in March 2014 with premium specs and features. The Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, meanwhile, has been launched in May and it is touted to be the rugged version of the flagship Galaxy S5. Readers, who are interested in purchasing the HTC One M8 or waiting for the release of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, should check out this specifications and price comparison.
Display, Exterior and Size
HTC One M8 features 5-inches IPS LCD screen with a superior resolution of 1,080 x 1,920 pixels. Samsung Galaxy S5 Active features a 5.1-inches Super AMOLED display with the same screen resolution as the One M8. There is not much difference between the phones pertaining to the pixel density category; the HTC and Samsung handsets pack 441 ppi and 432 ppi respectively.
The One M8 from HTC boasts bold, brushed metal design with a wrap-around unibody frame curved to fit the hand comfortably. The Samsung handset, on the other hand, features sturdy body with bolstered plastic corners and a flat back. Similar to the flagship Galaxy S5, the upcoming Galaxy S5 Active handset is equipped with water /dust-resistant (IP67 certified) exteriors. In addition, the rugged Galaxy S5 Active is shock-resistant (MIL-STD-810G certified) and it features sturdy physical buttons.
The thickness and the weight of HTC One M8 are 0.37 inches and 160 g, respectively. The Galaxy S5 Active comes with a thickness of 0.35 inches and weighs 170 g.
Hardware and Software
The Galaxy S5 Active is powered by a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 801) Krait 400 processor, clocked at 2.5 GHz and comes with 2 GB of RAM. The One M8, on the other hand, is also powered by the same processor and RAM specifications, but it is clocked at 2.3 GHz instead. Both handsets run on the latest Android v4.4 KitKat OS. On top of Android OS, the HTC One M8 runs HTC's Sense 6.0 UI whereas the Galaxy S5 Active uses Samsung's TouchWiz UI.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active sports a whopping 16 MP rear-facing camera with LED flash and a 2 MP front-facing camera unit. Out of the two handsets, the HTC One M8 holds the record for better front-facing camera. The handset sports a whopping 5 MP front-facing camera unit, whereas the camera at the rear is a unique 4 UltraPixels camera. The main camera has a total of 2 lenses (Duo Camera). In addition, the Galaxy S5 Active can shoot 4K videos, while the HTC One M8 can't.
The Galaxy S5 Active comes with 16 GB of internal storage, while the HTC One M8 comes with 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage capacity. In addition, both the devices support microSD card for expansion up to 128 GB.
The Galaxy S5 Active handset houses a superior 2800 mAh battery unit, while One M8 houses a 2600 mAh battery unit.
Galaxy S5 Active
HTC One M8
While the Galaxy S5 Active supports micro-sim, the HTC One M8 supports nano-sim.
The HTC One M8 comes in gray, red, silver and gold shades, whereas the Galaxy S5 Active comes in camo green, titanium grey and ruby red shades.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active features a "convenience key" located on the side of the handset. Upon pressing the key, the Active Zone app gets activated and it brings apps like compass, stopwatch, flashlight, and barometer, among others on the home screen. The original Galaxy S5 comes with a hard key (Home) and two soft keys (back and task switcher), whereas the sturdy Galaxy S5 Active features hard keys for all three buttons. Also, both the phones support NFC.
HTC One M8 is priced at AU$689.95 in Australia. According to PC Advisor, AT&T has confirmed a camo green version of Samsung Galaxy S5 Active specific to the U.S. market. The handset is priced at US$714.99 that roughly translates to AU$771.49. There is no information available on the official release date of Samsung Galaxy S5 Active in Australia at this point.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points