Netherlands vs. Chile Experts Pick, Predicted Lineup & Injury Report of World Cup 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 23, 2014 8:22 PM EST
Chile and Netherlands will try to stay undefeated and even more secure the top spot of their group on Monday (12:00 noon EST/ 2:00 a.m Sydney Time) at Arena Corinthians in Brazil.
What's at Stake
Arjen Robben of the Netherlands waves after the 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match against Australia at the Beira Rio stadium in Porto Alegre June 18, 2014.
*Chile attempts to advance into the next round with unblemished slate after nipping Australia 3-1 in the opener and dethroning defending World Cup champion Spain 2-0 last week.
*Netherlands, on the other hand, looks to continue their prolific run that saw them scoring eight goals in two games. Netherlands dominated Spain 5-1 in the opener before fending off the Aussies 3-2 in their second match.
*Chile midfielder Charles Aranguiz suffered a knee injury in the tussle with the Spaniard, but the team expect him to return in time for the battle of the undefeated.
*Netherlands, meanwhile, have to play without Manchester United striker Robin Van Persie, who already recorded three goals in the tournament. Van Persie is suspended for the last group match after getting slapped with two yellow cards in their previous match.
"Both coaches have problems with their lineup prior to this match. One of the best Netherlands' players, Robin Van Persie, is suspended for this match, since he already picked up two yellow cards in the previous matches.
"Bruno Martins Indi suffered a concussion in the match against Australia, and he is doubtful for this game. On the other hand, the Chilean midfielder Charles Aranguiz picked up a knee injury against Spain, but he could recover for the forthcoming match," according to FutnSoccer.
Predicted Lineup and Formation
Chile (Possible, 4-1-3-2): Bravo; Isla, Medel, Jara, Mena; Diaz; Aranguiz, Valdivia, Vidal; Sanchez, Vargas.
Holland (Possible, 4-4-2): Cillessen; Janmaat, Vlaar, De Vrij, Martins Indi; Blind, De Guzman, Sneijder, De Jong; Lens, Robben. Out: Van Persie (Suspension).
BBC's football analyst Mark Lawrenson believed Chile and Netherlands will give their best as they try to avoid clashing with expected Group A winner Brazil. In the end, Lawrenson predicted the two teams to play to a draw, which would give the Oranje the top spot of the group.
"Whoever wins this game wins the group and potentially avoids Brazil in the last 16 - if the hosts win Group A as expected. The Dutch have gone from strength to strength, and scored a lot of goals, since almost going 2-0 down to Spain in the first half of their first game," Lawrenson stated in his report.
"But Chile have been very strong too and their high-tempo, in-your-face football will cause everybody problems. I am going for a draw, which would give Netherlands top spot on goal difference."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks