Sherlock Update: Season 4 Production Delayed but Format Ensures More Seasons of Sherlock
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 23, 2014 7:47 PM EST
Steven Moffat, co-creator of BBC's "Sherlock," has said that the format of "Sherlock," 3 episodes each season after a gap of two years, has ensured that the show can go on for a very long time.
Speaking to Mark Sweney in The Guardian Speaker's Lounge at the Cannes Lions festival, Moffat said that "Sherlock" would have ended by now if they had done the conventional series format, which is 6 or 12 episodes each season. He said that Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman would not have agreed to do T.V, regularly, for such a long time.
Moffat said, "Had we done the conventional form of a T.V series, which is to do runs of six or twelve, it would be over by now, without doubt, it would be finished. Because they [Freeman and Cumberbatch] would never again commit that amount of time, that regularly to a TV, show, they just wouldn't, why would they?"
"But given the strange form of Sherlock, which is every two-and-a-half years we get together and we make three, means that it can go on for a very long time," Moffat said.
When Sweney reminded Moffat about his comment that Benedict has become so popular that, they cannot get him less sooner, Moffat said, "we can ... we can, we will be fine."
In an earlier interview, Moffat had lamented the popularity of Cumberbatch, saying, "it can be quite annoying too if you're scheduling a damn show." Also, He had revealed that BBC was initially not happy about casting Cumberbatch as Sherlock, as they did not find the actor sexy enough. "With Benedict Cumberbatch, we were told ... 'You promised us a sexy Sherlock, not him'."
There is still no word on the production date of "Sherlock" Season 4, which was originally scheduled to begin in autumn 2014. The actors' busy acting schedule is reportedly the main reason for the delay. The latest interview of Moffat almost confirms that the show will not be returning before 2016.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS