Prince William Handed $13.6M Worth of Birthday Present
By Tanya Diente | June 23, 2014 6:35 PM EST
Prince William has received a grand helicopter as a gift from the Queen on his 32nd birthday on June 21.
Britain's Prince Harry (L), Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge and his wife, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge share a light moment as they stand on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in the annual Trooping of the Colour ceremony to celebrate the Queen's official birthday in central London, June 14, 2014.
Queen Elizabeth II celebrated Prince William's, the Duke of Cambridge's, 32nd birthday by giving her grandson an ultimate birhtday present. The present came in the form of the 2008 Agusta A109S Grand helicopter, estimated to be worth $13.6 million, according to lifeandstylemag, or equivalent to 8 million pounds sterling.
Lifeandstylemag cited even though Queen Elizabeth II earned a reported $66 million in the previous year, funds to cover the cost of the helicopter came from the sovereign grant or money from the government.
According to digital spy, a spokesman for Queen Elizabeth II said the helicopter has been leased for a fixed number of hours annually.
"It has been leased in this way because it offers good value for money and because it provides for better safety and security than taking a number of short term leases," the spokesman noted.
The helicopter will be used as transport for Prince William and Kate Middleton whenever they attend official engagements. The extravagant gift is meant to reduce travel time between appearances, giving the royal couple as much time as possible with their 10-month-old son Prince George.
The helicopter can hold up to seven passengers and one pilot. It can travel at a maximum speed of 180 miles per hour, has rear cabinet with a bar and weighs nearly 1,600 kilograms when empty.
Prince William's helicopter will be docked with the Queen's own aircraft at RAF Odiham in Hampshire.
Queen Elizabeth II has reportedly also allowed other members of the royal family to borrow the helicopter in keeping with her generous streak.
The helicopter is a perfect gift for Prince William given that he has been trained as a British Royal Air Force helicopter pilot, previously known as Flight Lt. William Wales.Prince William previously served in the Royal Air Force (specifically the search and rescue force) but had to give up his duty in September 2013, two months after his son Prince George was born.
Prince William was born on June 21, 1982 at St. Mary's Hospital in London.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS