Prince William Handed $13.6M Worth of Birthday Present
By Tanya Diente | June 23, 2014 6:35 PM EST
Prince William has received a grand helicopter as a gift from the Queen on his 32nd birthday on June 21.
Britain's Prince Harry (L), Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge and his wife, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge share a light moment as they stand on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in the annual Trooping of the Colour ceremony to celebrate the Queen's official birthday in central London, June 14, 2014.
Queen Elizabeth II celebrated Prince William's, the Duke of Cambridge's, 32nd birthday by giving her grandson an ultimate birhtday present. The present came in the form of the 2008 Agusta A109S Grand helicopter, estimated to be worth $13.6 million, according to lifeandstylemag, or equivalent to 8 million pounds sterling.
Lifeandstylemag cited even though Queen Elizabeth II earned a reported $66 million in the previous year, funds to cover the cost of the helicopter came from the sovereign grant or money from the government.
According to digital spy, a spokesman for Queen Elizabeth II said the helicopter has been leased for a fixed number of hours annually.
"It has been leased in this way because it offers good value for money and because it provides for better safety and security than taking a number of short term leases," the spokesman noted.
The helicopter will be used as transport for Prince William and Kate Middleton whenever they attend official engagements. The extravagant gift is meant to reduce travel time between appearances, giving the royal couple as much time as possible with their 10-month-old son Prince George.
The helicopter can hold up to seven passengers and one pilot. It can travel at a maximum speed of 180 miles per hour, has rear cabinet with a bar and weighs nearly 1,600 kilograms when empty.
Prince William's helicopter will be docked with the Queen's own aircraft at RAF Odiham in Hampshire.
Queen Elizabeth II has reportedly also allowed other members of the royal family to borrow the helicopter in keeping with her generous streak.
The helicopter is a perfect gift for Prince William given that he has been trained as a British Royal Air Force helicopter pilot, previously known as Flight Lt. William Wales.Prince William previously served in the Royal Air Force (specifically the search and rescue force) but had to give up his duty in September 2013, two months after his son Prince George was born.
Prince William was born on June 21, 1982 at St. Mary's Hospital in London.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies