Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon June 23, 2014
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | June 23, 2014 5:32 PM EST
It was a solid start to the trading week, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) adding just over 31 points by the close of 0.6 per cent to 5432.7 points after China factory data came in above expectations.
The "flash" June reading for the purchasing managers index in China was 50.8 in June, up from 49.4 in May and above the 49.7 forecast. The AUD spiked to US94.4c.
Every sector on our market closed higher, with mining stocks leading the way, rising 1.4 per cent thanks to generally positive movement in commodities markets. Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) rose by 4 per cent to $4.39 thanks to a higher iron ore price, while Rio Tinto (RIO) was up 2.6 per cent.
Ten Network (TEN) shares rose 2 per cent to 25c on media reports a US based private equity group is considering a takeover bid for the struggling broadcaster.
Echo Entertainment (EGP) rose 2.6 per cent to $3.16 as the company teamed with a Hong Kong bidder in its battle against Crown Limited (CWN) to secure Brisbane's second casino licence. There are now three bidders including China's Greenland, with a decision by the Queensland government due next year. EGP rose 2.6 per cent to $3.16 while CWN was firmer by 0.9 per cent to $15.10.
After the closing bell, Westfield Retail Trust (WRT) announced to the ASX that the NSW Supreme Court had approved the tie-up of WRT with Westfield Group's (WDC) Australian and New Zealand shopping centre assets to form a new company Scentre Group. Scentre Group securities will begin trading this Wednesday. Today, WRT rose 1.3 per cent to $3.25 while WDC was up 0.6 per cent to $10.88.
LNG shares fell 8.4 per cent today to $2.19.
On the market overall, a total of 2 billion shares changed hands, worth $4.3 billion. 520 were up, 535 were down and 429 were unchanged.
At 4.45pm AEST the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5408, up 28 points.
Ahead tonight, the US ´´flash´´ manufacturing index is released with existing home sales and the national activity index.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia