Prince William Kensington Palace Revamp: British Monarchy Defends Cost on Refurbishing Kensington Palace Apartment of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
By Jenalyn Villamarin | June 23, 2014 5:12 PM EST
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are reportedly spending a lot of money on the refurbishing of their Kensington Palace apartment with Prince Charles willing to give financial assistance. However, the British monarchy is now defending the Kensington Palace apartment revamp costs by stating that the Royal couple paid for the furnishings in their home.
Britain's Prince Harry (L), Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge and his wife, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge share a light moment as they stand on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in the annual Trooping of the Colour ceremony to celebrate the Queen's official birthday in central London, June 14, 2014.
Teen Wolf Season 4 Spoilers: Araya Tortures Scott to Get Information on Derek's Abductor and a Shapeshifter, Watch Sneak Peek Video for Episode 1 'The Dark Moon'
Elly Oh: The Voice Australia Contestant Reveals Rejection in Becoming a K-Pop Star, Instructed to 'Fix' Her Face
The Mail Online report revealed that Prince Charles has agreed to spend £1.5 million for the cost of fitting out the Kensington Palace's Apartment 1A of Prince William, his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George with curtains, carpets and furniture. Unnamed sources shared that the main kitchen renovation is one of the biggest expenses as the Palace's refurbishing bill is set at £5.5 million with Prince Charles' contribution included.
A Royal spokesperson has confirmed that the couple privately paid for the internal repairs and furnishing costs at the Palace from the carpets to curtains which is reported to be at £4 million. "They were also at pains to ensure that the specification was not extravagant," the spokesman stated in the South China Morning Post World report.
The overall work bill for the 17th-century London palace apartment will include extensive work on installing a new roof, electrics overhaul, plumbing repairs and the need to remove asbestos. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge moved in Apartment 1A of the Kensington Palace.
The apartment was last refurbished back in 1963 when the newlywed Princess Margaret, Queen Elizabeth's sister, moved in. "This is the Duke and Duchess's one and only official residence. It is here that they plan to stay for many, many years to come," the Royal spokesman revealed.
Prince William may have spent a lot in refurbishing the home of his family but the Royal Prince received an expensive gift from his grandmother for his birthday. According to the E!Online report, Prince William, who turned 32 years old on June 21, received a $13.6 million worth of 2008 Agusta A109S Grand helicopter.
Prince William, Kate Middleton and their son can now safely attend Royal engagements with the helicopter instead of leasing different aircrafts in order for the Royal family to reach their destination. The report further noted that the luxurious aircraft has the Queen's Royal crest and leather seats that can carry seven passengers.
More Articles to Read:
Couple News: Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Use Paparazzi Again to Raise Awareness on Charities - [READ]
From a Wizard to a Hunchback: Daniel Radcliffe to Star in Victor Frankenstein as Igor - [READ]
Rupert Grint to Join Broadway like Harry Potter Co-star Daniel Radcliffe, Set to Make Debut Appearance in Production Titled It's Only a Play - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine