AFL News: Brisbane’s Brown To Call it Quits
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 23, 2014 5:08 PM EST
It was one of the many injuries he suffered in his 15-year footy career—and from one of the many tough plays he made in the AFL.
"It's become evident I don't respond or bounce back like I used to from those hits," Brown shared to watoday.com.au. "It wasn't worth the risk of going out there and copping another head knock and jeopardising my future with my wife and kids."
Brown was advised by team doctors in returning to the field after the latest serious incident and he chose not to risk it as he was bound for retirement anyway at the end of the season.
"It’s the invisible injuries, the head injuries that no one can really predict, and that's more important than what's below the neck," add the 32-year-old forward from Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia.
Recruited from the South Warrnambool and Geelong Falcons, Brown joined the Lions in 2000 and has played his entire AFL career with the Brisbane squad appearing in 256 games with 594 goals.
They won the premiership in 2001, 2002 and 2003. Brown was named to the All-Australian team in 2007 and 2009 and was the captain of the squad from 2007 to 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet