AFL News: Brisbane’s Brown To Call it Quits
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 23, 2014 5:08 PM EST
It was one of the many injuries he suffered in his 15-year footy career—and from one of the many tough plays he made in the AFL.
"It's become evident I don't respond or bounce back like I used to from those hits," Brown shared to watoday.com.au. "It wasn't worth the risk of going out there and copping another head knock and jeopardising my future with my wife and kids."
Brown was advised by team doctors in returning to the field after the latest serious incident and he chose not to risk it as he was bound for retirement anyway at the end of the season.
"It’s the invisible injuries, the head injuries that no one can really predict, and that's more important than what's below the neck," add the 32-year-old forward from Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia.
Recruited from the South Warrnambool and Geelong Falcons, Brown joined the Lions in 2000 and has played his entire AFL career with the Brisbane squad appearing in 256 games with 594 goals.
They won the premiership in 2001, 2002 and 2003. Brown was named to the All-Australian team in 2007 and 2009 and was the captain of the squad from 2007 to 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide