Maleficent Crosses $500M, Angelina Jolie 'Best Box Office Performance' Ever
By Sachin Trivedi | June 23, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Maleficent, a fantasy adventure movie, has crossed a milestone by reaching the $500 million mark. This achievement was Angelina Jolie's best ever performance at the box office. The new movies, "Think Like a Man," "22 Jump Street" and "How to Train Your Dragon" 2, are currently ruling the charts at the theaters worldwide.
Actress Angelina Jolie waves during a photocall as she takes part in a promotional tour for the film Maleficent in Shanghai June 3, 2014. REUTERS/Aly Song
According to a report by Box Office Mojo, Maleficent has made over $521 million worldwide. The U.S collection for the movie was reported to be around $185 million and the collection from the international markets was reported around $335 million.
This movie was believed the best box office performance of Angelina Jolie who has starred in many blockbuster movies in Hollywood. Her movie "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" released in 2001 reportedly made over $270 million worldwide. Her 2010 hit movie "Salt" had over $290 million and one of her most popular movies "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" released in 2005 reached over $470 million.
Maleficent is a story of a vengeful fairy who cursed a new born baby after being betrayed by someone she trusted. The vengeful fairy, played by Jolie, came to realize later that the child was the key to the happiness of the realm and would also bring peace to her heart.
The movies currently ruling the charts at the box office included "Think Like a Man," which has made over $30 million, "22 Jump Street," which had over $149 million worldwide and "How to Train Your Dragon" 2, which got over $171 million worldwide.
The popular upcoming movies this week include "Transformers: Age of Extinction," "Snow Piercer" and "Drones." Another popular movie "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" will be released by July 11.
Jolie's upcoming movies include "Kung Fu Panda" 3 for release by 2015 and "Salt" 2. The former is an animation movie with lots of humour and Jolie will be the voice of the character "Tigress" in the movie. "Salt" 2 is the story of a former Russian spy who switches sides to save the U.S. She plays the role of the spy in the movie.
Will Angelina Jolie's "Kung Fu Panda" 3 or "Salt" 2 be able to repeat the success of "Maleficent" at the box office?
Star Wars Episode 7: Top 5 Burning Plot Challenges the Producers Face [Read]
Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Who are the Children [Read]
Jurassic World - Picture Shows the Shadow of a New Dinosaur [Plot Spoilers] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools