Maleficent Crosses $500M, Angelina Jolie 'Best Box Office Performance' Ever
By Sachin Trivedi | June 23, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Maleficent, a fantasy adventure movie, has crossed a milestone by reaching the $500 million mark. This achievement was Angelina Jolie's best ever performance at the box office. The new movies, "Think Like a Man," "22 Jump Street" and "How to Train Your Dragon" 2, are currently ruling the charts at the theaters worldwide.
Actress Angelina Jolie waves during a photocall as she takes part in a promotional tour for the film Maleficent in Shanghai June 3, 2014. REUTERS/Aly Song
According to a report by Box Office Mojo, Maleficent has made over $521 million worldwide. The U.S collection for the movie was reported to be around $185 million and the collection from the international markets was reported around $335 million.
This movie was believed the best box office performance of Angelina Jolie who has starred in many blockbuster movies in Hollywood. Her movie "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" released in 2001 reportedly made over $270 million worldwide. Her 2010 hit movie "Salt" had over $290 million and one of her most popular movies "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" released in 2005 reached over $470 million.
Maleficent is a story of a vengeful fairy who cursed a new born baby after being betrayed by someone she trusted. The vengeful fairy, played by Jolie, came to realize later that the child was the key to the happiness of the realm and would also bring peace to her heart.
The movies currently ruling the charts at the box office included "Think Like a Man," which has made over $30 million, "22 Jump Street," which had over $149 million worldwide and "How to Train Your Dragon" 2, which got over $171 million worldwide.
The popular upcoming movies this week include "Transformers: Age of Extinction," "Snow Piercer" and "Drones." Another popular movie "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" will be released by July 11.
Jolie's upcoming movies include "Kung Fu Panda" 3 for release by 2015 and "Salt" 2. The former is an animation movie with lots of humour and Jolie will be the voice of the character "Tigress" in the movie. "Salt" 2 is the story of a former Russian spy who switches sides to save the U.S. She plays the role of the spy in the movie.
Will Angelina Jolie's "Kung Fu Panda" 3 or "Salt" 2 be able to repeat the success of "Maleficent" at the box office?
Star Wars Episode 7: Top 5 Burning Plot Challenges the Producers Face [Read]
Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Who are the Children [Read]
Jurassic World - Picture Shows the Shadow of a New Dinosaur [Plot Spoilers] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air