Lana Del Rey Slams ‘I Wish I Was Dead Already’ Interview; Journalist Fires Back
By Anne Lu | June 23, 2014 4:38 PM EST
Lana Del Rey has slammed The Guardian for quoting her as saying “I wish I was dead already,” but the paper fired back, showing proof that she was not misled during the interview.
On June 12, the paper published an interview with the 28-year-old American songstress, in which she claimed, “I wish I was dead already.”
Del Rey was talking about music icons like Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse, who, as interviewer Tim Jonze noted, are all dead.
“I do!” the singer affirmed when Jonze said that she really did not want to die yet. “I don’t want to have to keep doing this. But I am… Everything. That’s just how I feel. If it wasn’t that way, then I wouldn’t say it. I would be scared if I knew [death] was coming, but…”
Her remarks prompted criticisms on social media, with commenters saying that she has glamorised suicide and death.
Del Rey then took to Twitter to express her outrage over the interview, claiming that she did not want to do the interview, but Alexis, presumably referring to Alexis Petridis, who reviewed her album “Ultraviolence,” was persistent.
“I regret trusting the guardian – I didn’t want to do an interview but the journalist was persistent. Alexis was masked as a fan,” she wrote on Twitter.
“His leading questions about death and persona were calculated.
“but was hiding sinister ambitions and angles. Maybe he’s actually the boring one looking for something interesting to write about.”
The tweets were since deleted.
But Jonze, who interviewed her, pointed out that she really imparted her death wish, and that he gave her chance to take it back, but it was her who was the persistent one.
He also released the audio of Del Rey’s quotes to confirm his statement.
“Besides the fact Lana doesn’t remember who actually interviewed her, there are a number of things about her statement that sound a bit iffy to me,” Jonze wrote.
“It’s not pleasant asking a pop star if she thinks the idea of dying young herself is attractive – it’s a dark question, but it’s not a leading one. She has every opportunity to say no. And she can hardly complain about the subject matter: she’d been talking about her icons all dying young, she named her debut album ‘Born to Die’ and had spent much of the 50 minutes previous to this point telling me how miserable she was.”
He continued, “Ultimately, the problem with Lana’s complaint is that she doesn’t seem to know what she’s actually complaining about. She’s not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they’ve been ‘twisted’ or that we’ve printed them out of context.
“Instead she seems annoyed by the fact I wanted her to say interesting things and asked questions that caused her to do so. Well sorry, Lana, but that’s just me doing my job.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Remembering the Betrayal of the Freys
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Harry Styles-Paige Reifler Dating, Couple Back Together
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide