Lana Del Rey Slams ‘I Wish I Was Dead Already’ Interview; Journalist Fires Back
By Anne Lu | June 23, 2014 4:38 PM EST
Lana Del Rey has slammed The Guardian for quoting her as saying “I wish I was dead already,” but the paper fired back, showing proof that she was not misled during the interview.
On June 12, the paper published an interview with the 28-year-old American songstress, in which she claimed, “I wish I was dead already.”
Del Rey was talking about music icons like Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse, who, as interviewer Tim Jonze noted, are all dead.
“I do!” the singer affirmed when Jonze said that she really did not want to die yet. “I don’t want to have to keep doing this. But I am… Everything. That’s just how I feel. If it wasn’t that way, then I wouldn’t say it. I would be scared if I knew [death] was coming, but…”
Her remarks prompted criticisms on social media, with commenters saying that she has glamorised suicide and death.
Del Rey then took to Twitter to express her outrage over the interview, claiming that she did not want to do the interview, but Alexis, presumably referring to Alexis Petridis, who reviewed her album “Ultraviolence,” was persistent.
“I regret trusting the guardian – I didn’t want to do an interview but the journalist was persistent. Alexis was masked as a fan,” she wrote on Twitter.
“His leading questions about death and persona were calculated.
“but was hiding sinister ambitions and angles. Maybe he’s actually the boring one looking for something interesting to write about.”
The tweets were since deleted.
But Jonze, who interviewed her, pointed out that she really imparted her death wish, and that he gave her chance to take it back, but it was her who was the persistent one.
He also released the audio of Del Rey’s quotes to confirm his statement.
“Besides the fact Lana doesn’t remember who actually interviewed her, there are a number of things about her statement that sound a bit iffy to me,” Jonze wrote.
“It’s not pleasant asking a pop star if she thinks the idea of dying young herself is attractive – it’s a dark question, but it’s not a leading one. She has every opportunity to say no. And she can hardly complain about the subject matter: she’d been talking about her icons all dying young, she named her debut album ‘Born to Die’ and had spent much of the 50 minutes previous to this point telling me how miserable she was.”
He continued, “Ultimately, the problem with Lana’s complaint is that she doesn’t seem to know what she’s actually complaining about. She’s not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they’ve been ‘twisted’ or that we’ve printed them out of context.
“Instead she seems annoyed by the fact I wanted her to say interesting things and asked questions that caused her to do so. Well sorry, Lana, but that’s just me doing my job.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate