Lana Del Rey Slams ‘I Wish I Was Dead Already’ Interview; Journalist Fires Back
By Anne Lu | June 23, 2014 4:38 PM EST
Lana Del Rey has slammed The Guardian for quoting her as saying “I wish I was dead already,” but the paper fired back, showing proof that she was not misled during the interview.
On June 12, the paper published an interview with the 28-year-old American songstress, in which she claimed, “I wish I was dead already.”
Del Rey was talking about music icons like Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse, who, as interviewer Tim Jonze noted, are all dead.
“I do!” the singer affirmed when Jonze said that she really did not want to die yet. “I don’t want to have to keep doing this. But I am… Everything. That’s just how I feel. If it wasn’t that way, then I wouldn’t say it. I would be scared if I knew [death] was coming, but…”
Her remarks prompted criticisms on social media, with commenters saying that she has glamorised suicide and death.
Del Rey then took to Twitter to express her outrage over the interview, claiming that she did not want to do the interview, but Alexis, presumably referring to Alexis Petridis, who reviewed her album “Ultraviolence,” was persistent.
“I regret trusting the guardian – I didn’t want to do an interview but the journalist was persistent. Alexis was masked as a fan,” she wrote on Twitter.
“His leading questions about death and persona were calculated.
“but was hiding sinister ambitions and angles. Maybe he’s actually the boring one looking for something interesting to write about.”
The tweets were since deleted.
But Jonze, who interviewed her, pointed out that she really imparted her death wish, and that he gave her chance to take it back, but it was her who was the persistent one.
He also released the audio of Del Rey’s quotes to confirm his statement.
“Besides the fact Lana doesn’t remember who actually interviewed her, there are a number of things about her statement that sound a bit iffy to me,” Jonze wrote.
“It’s not pleasant asking a pop star if she thinks the idea of dying young herself is attractive – it’s a dark question, but it’s not a leading one. She has every opportunity to say no. And she can hardly complain about the subject matter: she’d been talking about her icons all dying young, she named her debut album ‘Born to Die’ and had spent much of the 50 minutes previous to this point telling me how miserable she was.”
He continued, “Ultimately, the problem with Lana’s complaint is that she doesn’t seem to know what she’s actually complaining about. She’s not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they’ve been ‘twisted’ or that we’ve printed them out of context.
“Instead she seems annoyed by the fact I wanted her to say interesting things and asked questions that caused her to do so. Well sorry, Lana, but that’s just me doing my job.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]