Lana Del Rey Slams ‘I Wish I Was Dead Already’ Interview; Journalist Fires Back
By Anne Lu | June 23, 2014 4:38 PM EST
Lana Del Rey has slammed The Guardian for quoting her as saying “I wish I was dead already,” but the paper fired back, showing proof that she was not misled during the interview.
On June 12, the paper published an interview with the 28-year-old American songstress, in which she claimed, “I wish I was dead already.”
Del Rey was talking about music icons like Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse, who, as interviewer Tim Jonze noted, are all dead.
“I do!” the singer affirmed when Jonze said that she really did not want to die yet. “I don’t want to have to keep doing this. But I am… Everything. That’s just how I feel. If it wasn’t that way, then I wouldn’t say it. I would be scared if I knew [death] was coming, but…”
Her remarks prompted criticisms on social media, with commenters saying that she has glamorised suicide and death.
Del Rey then took to Twitter to express her outrage over the interview, claiming that she did not want to do the interview, but Alexis, presumably referring to Alexis Petridis, who reviewed her album “Ultraviolence,” was persistent.
“I regret trusting the guardian – I didn’t want to do an interview but the journalist was persistent. Alexis was masked as a fan,” she wrote on Twitter.
“His leading questions about death and persona were calculated.
“but was hiding sinister ambitions and angles. Maybe he’s actually the boring one looking for something interesting to write about.”
The tweets were since deleted.
But Jonze, who interviewed her, pointed out that she really imparted her death wish, and that he gave her chance to take it back, but it was her who was the persistent one.
He also released the audio of Del Rey’s quotes to confirm his statement.
“Besides the fact Lana doesn’t remember who actually interviewed her, there are a number of things about her statement that sound a bit iffy to me,” Jonze wrote.
“It’s not pleasant asking a pop star if she thinks the idea of dying young herself is attractive – it’s a dark question, but it’s not a leading one. She has every opportunity to say no. And she can hardly complain about the subject matter: she’d been talking about her icons all dying young, she named her debut album ‘Born to Die’ and had spent much of the 50 minutes previous to this point telling me how miserable she was.”
He continued, “Ultimately, the problem with Lana’s complaint is that she doesn’t seem to know what she’s actually complaining about. She’s not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they’ve been ‘twisted’ or that we’ve printed them out of context.
“Instead she seems annoyed by the fact I wanted her to say interesting things and asked questions that caused her to do so. Well sorry, Lana, but that’s just me doing my job.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- Kanye West's 2010 Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is Album of the Decade
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Kaley Cuoco Says ‘Season 8 Here We Come’ In Instagram Video, Sports Pixie Haircut
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop