Canada Recaptures Daring Helicopter Jailbreak Inmates
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 23, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Canada has recaptured the inmates who escaped in a daring helicopter jailbreak from a facility near Quebec City almost two weeks ago.
The trio - Yves Denis, Denis Lefebvre and Serge Pomerleau - were arrested early Sunday in a condominium building in Montreal. They have been brought back to the Orsainville Detention Centre in Quebec City.
REUTERS/Surete du Quebec/Hando
A combination photo shows the escapees (L-R) Denis Lefebvre, 53, Serge Pomerleau, 49, and Yves Denis, 35, who escaped from Orsainville Detention Centre using a helicopter in suburban Quebec City, Quebec June 7, 2014, in this undated handout picture released by Surete de Quebec on June 9, 2014. Quebec police said they re-captured the three men June 22, 2014. They are expected to appear in court June 23. REUTERS/Surete du Quebec/Handout via Reuters (CANADA - Tags: CRIME LAW HEADSHOT) ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS PICTURE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. REUTERS IS UNABLE TO INDEPENDENTLY VERIFY THE AUTHENTICITY, CONTENT, LOCATION OR DATE OF THIS IMAGE. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS PICTURE IS DISTRIBUTED EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. BEST QUALITY AVAILABLE
The three men were labeled as "extremely dangerous" prisoners. Immediately after their escape, the Interpol released an Orange Notice to all 190-member countries to help track down the three fugitives.
"The prisoners were arrested at 1:30 in the morning in Montreal. The SWAT team made the arrest and those three people will appear in court ... Monday in Quebec City," Quebec police spokesman Sgt. Ronald Mc Innis told CNN.
Police said further arrests will likely be made on others who helped the prisoners flee, such as the pilot of the helicopter used.
"The investigation continues and more arrests could occur," the Globe and Mail quoted Sergeant Claude Denis. "The Sûreté du Québec (SQ) will not comment more about the circumstances of these three arrests or the investigation."
Radio-Canada gathered from police sources the fugitive prisoners were asleep and unarmed the time the police carried out the operation on the 10th floor of the complex at 370 Rue Saint André. They likewise did not resist arrest.
They will appear in court Monday in Quebec City. Police will not disclose where they are holding the men.
According to the Globe and Mail, the condominium building where they were arrested is located in a ritzy new development in Old Montreal. The residence featured a balcony with a perfect view of the city skyline.
"Smartly enough, these guys picked a project that is luxurious enough not to have too much foot traffic," Thierry Lindor, a 33-year-old ReMax broker who lives in the building, told the Globe and Mail. "It wasn't the penthouse floor but they weren't too far ... it wasn't just any property that they looked for on Kijiji."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Space Race On in Middle East, UAE Plans Planet Mars Mission in 2021
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Italian Appeals Court Overturns 2013 Sex with Underage Prostitute Conviction Against Former PM Silvio Berlusconi
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More