NBA News: Dallas Mavericks Dreaming of Own Superteam, Targeting Pau Gasol and Carmelo Anthony in Free Agency
By James Patrick Quizon | June 23, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Armed with a huge cap space and the commitment of veteran star to take a big pay cut, the Dallas Mavericks, behind the deep pockets of owner Mark Cuban are considered major players in this offseason.
NBA: Playoffs-Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
Free-agent whisper one week out: Mavs not only expect to have chance to make face-to-face pitch to Melo but also plan to pursue Pau Gasol
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 22, 2014
How Does It Work?
For the 2014-2015 payroll, the Mavericks have about $27.41M committed to just eight players. The key names here are shooting guard Monta Ellis ($8.72M) and Jose Calderon ($7.10M) and that can jump to roughly $31.0M if they pick up the “team option” on center Samuel Dalembert for over $3M (a likely scenario).
For next season, the salary cap is pegged to be around $63M so Dallas have around $30 million plus to work with in this offseason.
The German big man has an expiring contract of $22M but with his previous announcement that he’ll re-sign with Dallas for less—a shout-out to the selfish Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers—it is possible that he settles for around $12M to $15 to accommodate other star players to the Dallas fold.
The targets and probable offers: $27M for three years for Gasol ($9 per year) and $90M for 4 years for Anthony ($22.5M per year).
Dallas will have no problem shooting over the cap as they went past it with $77M last season—shout out to Cuban and his cash.
Will It Work?
In the age of superteams—shout out to LeBron James and the LeBronettes in Miami—this could work especially in the tough and deep Western Conference.
The downside for Dallas is that the pair of moves could mean letting go of Shawn Marion and Vince Carter—serviceable players last season. Then again, upgrading to a Gasol and Anthony should be a better option.
A starting line-up of Calderon/Ellis/Anthony/Nowitzki/Gasol is indeed scary offensively but they leaves much to be desired on the other end; who is going to be the defensive stopper? How weak is that Nowitzki/Gasol frontcourt? And will this be a case of “too-much-offense-and-not-enough-defense”?
What is the Most Likely Scenario?
Head coach is a known defensive guru but had to make do with a defensively-challenged line-up last season. They pushed the eventual NBA champions to full seven games in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs so there’s something to build on from that group.
So while the Mavericks are reportedly chasing BOTH Gasol and Anthony it appears that they will seriously consider only one and spend the extra money to target a defensive-minded player—either resigning Marion or finding a similar player via free agency.
Exciting times ahead for Dallas with an open wallet this offseason—will they spend it wisely? And will free agents be attracted to playing in Texas?
July 1 is officially the start of free agency period in the NBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones