NBA News: Dallas Mavericks Dreaming of Own Superteam, Targeting Pau Gasol and Carmelo Anthony in Free Agency
By James Patrick Quizon | June 23, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Armed with a huge cap space and the commitment of veteran star to take a big pay cut, the Dallas Mavericks, behind the deep pockets of owner Mark Cuban are considered major players in this offseason.
NBA: Playoffs-Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
Free-agent whisper one week out: Mavs not only expect to have chance to make face-to-face pitch to Melo but also plan to pursue Pau Gasol
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 22, 2014
How Does It Work?
For the 2014-2015 payroll, the Mavericks have about $27.41M committed to just eight players. The key names here are shooting guard Monta Ellis ($8.72M) and Jose Calderon ($7.10M) and that can jump to roughly $31.0M if they pick up the “team option” on center Samuel Dalembert for over $3M (a likely scenario).
For next season, the salary cap is pegged to be around $63M so Dallas have around $30 million plus to work with in this offseason.
The German big man has an expiring contract of $22M but with his previous announcement that he’ll re-sign with Dallas for less—a shout-out to the selfish Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers—it is possible that he settles for around $12M to $15 to accommodate other star players to the Dallas fold.
The targets and probable offers: $27M for three years for Gasol ($9 per year) and $90M for 4 years for Anthony ($22.5M per year).
Dallas will have no problem shooting over the cap as they went past it with $77M last season—shout out to Cuban and his cash.
Will It Work?
In the age of superteams—shout out to LeBron James and the LeBronettes in Miami—this could work especially in the tough and deep Western Conference.
The downside for Dallas is that the pair of moves could mean letting go of Shawn Marion and Vince Carter—serviceable players last season. Then again, upgrading to a Gasol and Anthony should be a better option.
A starting line-up of Calderon/Ellis/Anthony/Nowitzki/Gasol is indeed scary offensively but they leaves much to be desired on the other end; who is going to be the defensive stopper? How weak is that Nowitzki/Gasol frontcourt? And will this be a case of “too-much-offense-and-not-enough-defense”?
What is the Most Likely Scenario?
Head coach is a known defensive guru but had to make do with a defensively-challenged line-up last season. They pushed the eventual NBA champions to full seven games in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs so there’s something to build on from that group.
So while the Mavericks are reportedly chasing BOTH Gasol and Anthony it appears that they will seriously consider only one and spend the extra money to target a defensive-minded player—either resigning Marion or finding a similar player via free agency.
Exciting times ahead for Dallas with an open wallet this offseason—will they spend it wisely? And will free agents be attracted to playing in Texas?
July 1 is officially the start of free agency period in the NBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]