Sibling Rivalry Ends in a Draw In Germany Vs. Ghana Match Featuring Boateng Brothers
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 23, 2014 3:57 PM EST
Sibling rivalry heated up the pitch in the middle of the Germany versus Ghana clash in a group stage fixture for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Brothers Jerome and Kevin-Prince Boateng were pitted against each other as they played for opposing sides.
Jerome, who plays right-back for Germany, was in direct contention with his brother Kevin-Prince who is a left winger for Ghana. Both players play their club football in Germany with Jerome playing for champions Bayern Munich and Kevin-Prince suiting up for Shalke.
The brothers were both born in Berlin to a Ghanian father and both played football at an early age going through the country's youth system and eventually landing professional careers in big Bundesliga clubs. This is the second time the brothers went against each other in a World Cup match with Germany coming out on top in the first clash in 2010 with a score of 1-0 in their group stage fixture.
This year, the Boatengs didn't need to endure the entire 90 minutes playing against each other as Jerome was taken off the pitch as early as halftime. His brother Kevin-Prince soon followed suit and was also taken off seven minutes later after Mario Gotze scored for Germany.
After Portugal was demolished by the Germans in their opening match, 4-0, they were the favorites to top the group but Ghana did not allow them to claim their place in the top 16 so easily.
Ghana soon equalized with a goal from Asamoah Gyan and then took the lead with a follow up from Andre Ayew. Miroslav Klose came off the bench to save the Germans from defeat and scored the equalizer which ended the match at 2-2.
Both teams advanced to the knockout stage when they first found themselves in the same group in 2010. This year, everything is still up in the air as Germany and the USA now have four points in their group with Ghana and Portugal lying at the bottom with 1 point but are not mathematically out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone