Sibling Rivalry Ends in a Draw In Germany Vs. Ghana Match Featuring Boateng Brothers
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 23, 2014 3:57 PM EST
Sibling rivalry heated up the pitch in the middle of the Germany versus Ghana clash in a group stage fixture for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Brothers Jerome and Kevin-Prince Boateng were pitted against each other as they played for opposing sides.
Jerome, who plays right-back for Germany, was in direct contention with his brother Kevin-Prince who is a left winger for Ghana. Both players play their club football in Germany with Jerome playing for champions Bayern Munich and Kevin-Prince suiting up for Shalke.
The brothers were both born in Berlin to a Ghanian father and both played football at an early age going through the country's youth system and eventually landing professional careers in big Bundesliga clubs. This is the second time the brothers went against each other in a World Cup match with Germany coming out on top in the first clash in 2010 with a score of 1-0 in their group stage fixture.
This year, the Boatengs didn't need to endure the entire 90 minutes playing against each other as Jerome was taken off the pitch as early as halftime. His brother Kevin-Prince soon followed suit and was also taken off seven minutes later after Mario Gotze scored for Germany.
After Portugal was demolished by the Germans in their opening match, 4-0, they were the favorites to top the group but Ghana did not allow them to claim their place in the top 16 so easily.
Ghana soon equalized with a goal from Asamoah Gyan and then took the lead with a follow up from Andre Ayew. Miroslav Klose came off the bench to save the Germans from defeat and scored the equalizer which ended the match at 2-2.
Both teams advanced to the knockout stage when they first found themselves in the same group in 2010. This year, everything is still up in the air as Germany and the USA now have four points in their group with Ghana and Portugal lying at the bottom with 1 point but are not mathematically out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June