Sibling Rivalry Ends in a Draw In Germany Vs. Ghana Match Featuring Boateng Brothers
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 23, 2014 3:57 PM EST
Sibling rivalry heated up the pitch in the middle of the Germany versus Ghana clash in a group stage fixture for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Brothers Jerome and Kevin-Prince Boateng were pitted against each other as they played for opposing sides.
Jerome, who plays right-back for Germany, was in direct contention with his brother Kevin-Prince who is a left winger for Ghana. Both players play their club football in Germany with Jerome playing for champions Bayern Munich and Kevin-Prince suiting up for Shalke.
The brothers were both born in Berlin to a Ghanian father and both played football at an early age going through the country's youth system and eventually landing professional careers in big Bundesliga clubs. This is the second time the brothers went against each other in a World Cup match with Germany coming out on top in the first clash in 2010 with a score of 1-0 in their group stage fixture.
This year, the Boatengs didn't need to endure the entire 90 minutes playing against each other as Jerome was taken off the pitch as early as halftime. His brother Kevin-Prince soon followed suit and was also taken off seven minutes later after Mario Gotze scored for Germany.
After Portugal was demolished by the Germans in their opening match, 4-0, they were the favorites to top the group but Ghana did not allow them to claim their place in the top 16 so easily.
Ghana soon equalized with a goal from Asamoah Gyan and then took the lead with a follow up from Andre Ayew. Miroslav Klose came off the bench to save the Germans from defeat and scored the equalizer which ended the match at 2-2.
Both teams advanced to the knockout stage when they first found themselves in the same group in 2010. This year, everything is still up in the air as Germany and the USA now have four points in their group with Ghana and Portugal lying at the bottom with 1 point but are not mathematically out.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change