NBA News: Baylor Star Austin Diagnosed with Career Ending Condition
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 23, 2014 3:56 PM EST
Just a few days before his name is called in the 2014 NBA Draft, prospect and former Baylor star Isaiah Austin was diagnosed with a genetic disorder known as Marfan Syndrome.
NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament-3rd Round-Baylor vs Creighton
ESPN.com reports that the pre-draft medical testing results specified that the genetic disorder of Austin leads to complications in connective tissues throughout the body. The said condition will not allow the 7-foot-1 center to be able to continue with his NBA dream.
"This is devastating news, but Isaiah has the best support system anyone could ask for, and he knows that all of Baylor Nation is behind him," Baylor coach Scott Drew said in a statement released by the school. "His health is the most important thing, and while it's extremely sad that he won't be able to play in the NBA, our hope is that he'll return to Baylor to complete his degree and serve as a coach in our program."
A very rare condition that occurs to only 1 in 5,000 people, Marfan syndrome can manifest in most areas of the body, usually attacking the heart, bones, joint and eyes. The said diagnosis comes as a big blow after Austin has already overcome other medical challenges just to perform on the court. Hehas little to no vision in his right eye which multiple operations could not save the retina which he suffered during a routine warm-up.
Although already visually challenged, Austin rose up to the occasion and emerged as a McDonald's All American player in high school and became one of the best rim protectors in college. He was starting center in 72 of the 73 games in Baylor and registered averages of 12.1 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.4 blocks in 28.9 minutes per game.
He was projected to be selected in the middle to late first round in the upcoming NBA draft.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues