NBA News: Baylor Star Austin Diagnosed with Career Ending Condition
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 23, 2014 3:56 PM EST
Just a few days before his name is called in the 2014 NBA Draft, prospect and former Baylor star Isaiah Austin was diagnosed with a genetic disorder known as Marfan Syndrome.
NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament-3rd Round-Baylor vs Creighton
ESPN.com reports that the pre-draft medical testing results specified that the genetic disorder of Austin leads to complications in connective tissues throughout the body. The said condition will not allow the 7-foot-1 center to be able to continue with his NBA dream.
"This is devastating news, but Isaiah has the best support system anyone could ask for, and he knows that all of Baylor Nation is behind him," Baylor coach Scott Drew said in a statement released by the school. "His health is the most important thing, and while it's extremely sad that he won't be able to play in the NBA, our hope is that he'll return to Baylor to complete his degree and serve as a coach in our program."
A very rare condition that occurs to only 1 in 5,000 people, Marfan syndrome can manifest in most areas of the body, usually attacking the heart, bones, joint and eyes. The said diagnosis comes as a big blow after Austin has already overcome other medical challenges just to perform on the court. Hehas little to no vision in his right eye which multiple operations could not save the retina which he suffered during a routine warm-up.
Although already visually challenged, Austin rose up to the occasion and emerged as a McDonald's All American player in high school and became one of the best rim protectors in college. He was starting center in 72 of the 73 games in Baylor and registered averages of 12.1 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.4 blocks in 28.9 minutes per game.
He was projected to be selected in the middle to late first round in the upcoming NBA draft.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles