NBA News: Baylor Star Austin Diagnosed with Career Ending Condition
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 23, 2014 3:56 PM EST
Just a few days before his name is called in the 2014 NBA Draft, prospect and former Baylor star Isaiah Austin was diagnosed with a genetic disorder known as Marfan Syndrome.
NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament-3rd Round-Baylor vs Creighton
ESPN.com reports that the pre-draft medical testing results specified that the genetic disorder of Austin leads to complications in connective tissues throughout the body. The said condition will not allow the 7-foot-1 center to be able to continue with his NBA dream.
"This is devastating news, but Isaiah has the best support system anyone could ask for, and he knows that all of Baylor Nation is behind him," Baylor coach Scott Drew said in a statement released by the school. "His health is the most important thing, and while it's extremely sad that he won't be able to play in the NBA, our hope is that he'll return to Baylor to complete his degree and serve as a coach in our program."
A very rare condition that occurs to only 1 in 5,000 people, Marfan syndrome can manifest in most areas of the body, usually attacking the heart, bones, joint and eyes. The said diagnosis comes as a big blow after Austin has already overcome other medical challenges just to perform on the court. Hehas little to no vision in his right eye which multiple operations could not save the retina which he suffered during a routine warm-up.
Although already visually challenged, Austin rose up to the occasion and emerged as a McDonald's All American player in high school and became one of the best rim protectors in college. He was starting center in 72 of the 73 games in Baylor and registered averages of 12.1 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.4 blocks in 28.9 minutes per game.
He was projected to be selected in the middle to late first round in the upcoming NBA draft.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS