Bindi Irwin Tells Young Girls to Stop Wearing Revealing Clothes
By Anne Lu | June 23, 2014 3:50 PM EST
Bindi Irwin feels bad for her fellow teenagers who wear revealing clothes. The late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin’s 15-year-old daughter has proven once more that she’s smart beyond her years, telling girls to dress their age.
Bindi has always been vocal about issues that matter, such as animal protection and conservation. But she’s not beyond talking about less serious subjects, though, such as fashion.
“I guess for me, because I wear khaki so much – waking up every day at the zoo, you just kind of grab your khaki uniform and you’re pretty much good to go – that when I get out of khaki I like to experiment and see how things go,” she told News Corp Australia.
“I suppose the last year or so really I’ve been starting to have some fun and see what I can do with makeup and wardrobe and be a little bit of a girlie girl,” she said, adding, “Finding that great line between comfort and looking semi-good is fantastic.”
Although she’s still at the experimental stage of finding her own style, there’s one thing that she will not try on.
“I’m a big advocate for young girls dressing their age,” she said. “I mean, for me, I look around at a lot of young girls that are my age and they’re always trying to dress older. Whether it’s wearing revealing clothes or hardly wearing any clothes at all, I feel really bad for them.
“It kind of has the opposite effect in some ways… it kind of does the opposite where it makes you look younger and like you’re trying too hard.”
Bindi said she wanted to impart her sage advice to other girls.
“I almost wish I could tell young girls, ‘look, in 10 years when you look back at yourself, you’ll cringe, honey, honestly.’ A lot of times I want to grab these girls and say, ‘look… in 10 years you’ll regret this. Just dress like who you are. Don’t try so hard. A pair of jeans and a t-shirt is just as gorgeous and even makes you look classier.’
“I look at adults and they say ‘when I was young I was wearing blue eye shadow’ and I’m cringing. So to be able to have that outlook on life is such a blessing and I’ve gotten that from my mum especially.
“The way I choose to dress, I want to influence other people around me, I suppose.”
Bindi also said that she prefers “a cup of tea and a good book” than cigarettes and alcohol.
Her mum Terri and her 10-year-old brother Robert will expectedly be there, but her grandfather Bob, Steve’s dad, will skip the celebration, prompting the rise of rumours of unresolved family feud.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone