Bindi Irwin Tells Young Girls to Stop Wearing Revealing Clothes
By Anne Lu | June 23, 2014 3:50 PM EST
Bindi Irwin feels bad for her fellow teenagers who wear revealing clothes. The late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin’s 15-year-old daughter has proven once more that she’s smart beyond her years, telling girls to dress their age.
Bindi has always been vocal about issues that matter, such as animal protection and conservation. But she’s not beyond talking about less serious subjects, though, such as fashion.
“I guess for me, because I wear khaki so much – waking up every day at the zoo, you just kind of grab your khaki uniform and you’re pretty much good to go – that when I get out of khaki I like to experiment and see how things go,” she told News Corp Australia.
“I suppose the last year or so really I’ve been starting to have some fun and see what I can do with makeup and wardrobe and be a little bit of a girlie girl,” she said, adding, “Finding that great line between comfort and looking semi-good is fantastic.”
Although she’s still at the experimental stage of finding her own style, there’s one thing that she will not try on.
“I’m a big advocate for young girls dressing their age,” she said. “I mean, for me, I look around at a lot of young girls that are my age and they’re always trying to dress older. Whether it’s wearing revealing clothes or hardly wearing any clothes at all, I feel really bad for them.
“It kind of has the opposite effect in some ways… it kind of does the opposite where it makes you look younger and like you’re trying too hard.”
Bindi said she wanted to impart her sage advice to other girls.
“I almost wish I could tell young girls, ‘look, in 10 years when you look back at yourself, you’ll cringe, honey, honestly.’ A lot of times I want to grab these girls and say, ‘look… in 10 years you’ll regret this. Just dress like who you are. Don’t try so hard. A pair of jeans and a t-shirt is just as gorgeous and even makes you look classier.’
“I look at adults and they say ‘when I was young I was wearing blue eye shadow’ and I’m cringing. So to be able to have that outlook on life is such a blessing and I’ve gotten that from my mum especially.
“The way I choose to dress, I want to influence other people around me, I suppose.”
Bindi also said that she prefers “a cup of tea and a good book” than cigarettes and alcohol.
Her mum Terri and her 10-year-old brother Robert will expectedly be there, but her grandfather Bob, Steve’s dad, will skip the celebration, prompting the rise of rumours of unresolved family feud.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]