Bindi Irwin Tells Young Girls to Stop Wearing Revealing Clothes
By Anne Lu | June 23, 2014 3:50 PM EST
Bindi Irwin feels bad for her fellow teenagers who wear revealing clothes. The late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin’s 15-year-old daughter has proven once more that she’s smart beyond her years, telling girls to dress their age.
Bindi has always been vocal about issues that matter, such as animal protection and conservation. But she’s not beyond talking about less serious subjects, though, such as fashion.
“I guess for me, because I wear khaki so much – waking up every day at the zoo, you just kind of grab your khaki uniform and you’re pretty much good to go – that when I get out of khaki I like to experiment and see how things go,” she told News Corp Australia.
“I suppose the last year or so really I’ve been starting to have some fun and see what I can do with makeup and wardrobe and be a little bit of a girlie girl,” she said, adding, “Finding that great line between comfort and looking semi-good is fantastic.”
Although she’s still at the experimental stage of finding her own style, there’s one thing that she will not try on.
“I’m a big advocate for young girls dressing their age,” she said. “I mean, for me, I look around at a lot of young girls that are my age and they’re always trying to dress older. Whether it’s wearing revealing clothes or hardly wearing any clothes at all, I feel really bad for them.
“It kind of has the opposite effect in some ways… it kind of does the opposite where it makes you look younger and like you’re trying too hard.”
Bindi said she wanted to impart her sage advice to other girls.
“I almost wish I could tell young girls, ‘look, in 10 years when you look back at yourself, you’ll cringe, honey, honestly.’ A lot of times I want to grab these girls and say, ‘look… in 10 years you’ll regret this. Just dress like who you are. Don’t try so hard. A pair of jeans and a t-shirt is just as gorgeous and even makes you look classier.’
“I look at adults and they say ‘when I was young I was wearing blue eye shadow’ and I’m cringing. So to be able to have that outlook on life is such a blessing and I’ve gotten that from my mum especially.
“The way I choose to dress, I want to influence other people around me, I suppose.”
Bindi also said that she prefers “a cup of tea and a good book” than cigarettes and alcohol.
Her mum Terri and her 10-year-old brother Robert will expectedly be there, but her grandfather Bob, Steve’s dad, will skip the celebration, prompting the rise of rumours of unresolved family feud.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build