Watch 2014 FIFA World Cup and Sexy Art Films in Single Screen with SBS HbbTV Beta Launch
By Athena Yenko | June 23, 2014 3:19 PM EST
Watching the 2014 FIFA World Cup and other SBS contents - including raunchy European art films - in a single screen is made possible with SBS' beta launch of SBS ON DEMAND via HbbTV.
With the current schedule of SBS dominated by the coverage of 2014 FIFA World Cup, the beta release allows user to never miss their favourite SBS content while keeping up-to-date with the latest news of the World Cup.
Members of the Australian Socceroos national soccer team pose before a training session in Sydney in this May 23, 2014 file photo. Australia's squad will face Chile, the Netherlands and Spain in Group B for the World Cup finals in Brazil. Coach Ange Postecoglou is in black in the front row.
SBS ON DEMAND, the network's dedicated catch-up viewing service, is now available to the public in beta release via HbbTV enabled televisions, SBS announced on Monday.
From Monday, all users with HbbTV-enabled televisions connected to the Internet will have access to SBS's three free-to-air channels - SBS ONE, SBS2 and NITV through a "Red Button." Pressing the red button on the remote control will allow users access to the new SBS ON DEMAND application that features all content provided by the network, SBS said in a statement.
"This launch continues SBS's leadership in the on-demand and catch up television space with SBS ON DEMAND available on more platforms than any other catch-up service in Australia. Innovation in the digital space is key to the future of delivering uniquely SBS content for all Australians, and adding SBS ON DEMAND to HbbTV-enabled televisions was a logical next step with the imminent launch of FreeviewPlus. It continues our commitment to bringing content to audiences when they want, and where they want it," SBS Chief Digital Officer, Marshall Heald, said.
"We're releasing the app in beta today to elicit feedback from audiences to help us make further enhancements and improvements to the product during the 2014 FIFA World Cup and ahead of the Tour de France next month. Early-adopters of this new technology will be able to provide us with valuable feedback to maximise the SBS ON DEMAND experience," Heald added.
At present, only Panasonic has HbbTV-enabled televisions on sale in Australia (TH-32AS610A, TH-42AS700A, TH-50AS700A, TH-55AS700A, TH-60AS700A, TH-55AS740A, TH-60AS740A).
On May 29, SBS announced a more comprehensive programming of the 2014 FIFA World CupTM compared to its past coverage of the World Cup.
"The 2014 FIFA World CupTM will mesmerise Australians through June and July as the world spotlight shines on Brazil, and at SBS we've built a well-earned reputation for our first-class production and presentation," Helen Kellie, SBS chief content officer, said.
SBS's coverage of the 2014 FIFA World Cup has reached 5.4 million Australians both in the Metro and Regional. SBS coverage of the event reached 2.1 million viewers just within the first day.
Australia vs Chile match was the number 1 ranked programme of the day with a total of 2,276 million viewers: 1,741 million in 5 City Metro and 535,000 Regional viewers.
The Australia vs Chile match achieved 67.1 per cent Metro FTA Share and 47.8 per cent Regional FTA Share and a peak audience of 2,805 Million (Metro + Regional).
The pre and post-match coverages of the Australia v Chile game also brought SBS significant ratings with pre-match averaging 919,000 (Metro +Regional), ranking 7th with Metro audiences, with the post-match averaging over 1.29 Million (Metro + Regional), ranking 3rd for Metro Audiences.
The Spain vs Netherlands game averaged 366,000 (305,000 Metro + 61,000 Regional), achieving 68.3 per cent Metro FTA Share and 36.2 per cent Regional FTA Share.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones
- BlackBerry Offers $600 To Lure iPhone Owners To Switch To Passport Phone
- #Bendgate Fails To Dent As Apple’s Market Value Reaches $700 Billion
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments