Rupert Grint to Join Broadway like Harry Potter Co-star Daniel Radcliffe, Set to Make Debut Appearance in Production Titled It's Only a Play
By Jenalyn Villamarin | June 23, 2014 3:15 PM EST
Actor Rupert Grint, who portrayed the red-haired wizard Ron Weasley in the "Harry Potter" films, is heading to Broadway just like his co-star Daniel Radcliffe. For his Broadway debut, the 25-year-old English actor will join the star-studded production titled "It's Only a Play."
According to the Mail Online report, Rupert Grint is added to the previously-announced cast members of the upcoming production that include Matthew Broderick, Nathan Lane, F. Murray Abraham, Stockard Channing, Megan Mullally and Micah Stock. The Broadway play is set to be staged at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre in New York City.
In the "It's Only a Play" Broadway production, Rupert Grint will be portraying acclaimed theatre director Frank Finger, Matthew Broderick plays a writer while Nathan Lane will be the bitter best friend and resentful television actor in the play who secretly wishes his friend to fail.
Jack O'Brien will be directing the play with Tom Kirdahy, Roy Furman and Ken Davenport as the lead producers on the production revival. "I'm thrilled to be making my Broadway debut alongside this amazing cast and creative team," the "Harry Potter" stated in the NBC New York report.
Rupert Grint further revealed that his first stage appearance as a drug dealer in "Mojo" during London's West End in 2013 made him enthusiastic to work in theatre more. "It's opened my eyes; I've learned so much," Grint shared.
In the Independent report, Rupert Grint admitted that he still feels the pressure of getting recognized as the "Harry Potter" character Ron Weasley which he portrayed for ten years. The young actor recalled that is usually fine for him to get recognized in public places but there were times he still encountered trouble at music festivals.
"I've sometimes had a bit of trouble at music festivals. It's usually fine, but if you're in a massive crowd of drunken people and one of them suddenly spots you, it gets hard to move around," the young actor shared. Grint added that he sometimes wish he had the famous Invisibility Cloak in real life.
"That would be handy! But I have actually experimented with disguises. Once I wore a horse's-head disguise for an entire festival. It wasn't comfortable, and I got quite claustrophobic, but it really worked. It was quite liberating. I felt completely free!" the "Harry Potter" star recounted.
The Terrence McNally play "It's Only a Play" is set for a limited 17-week engagement after it officially opens at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre in New York City on October 9, 2014.
More Articles to Read:
From a Wizard to a Hunchback: Daniel Radcliffe to Star in Victor Frankenstein as Igor - [READ]
Couple News: Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield Use Paparazzi Again to Raise Awareness on Charities - [READ]
Sebastian Roché: 'The Originals' and 'The Vampire Diaries' Actor Marries Actress Alicia Hannah Kim in France - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown