Bye-Bye New York: Carmelo Anthony Will Become a Free Agent
By James Patrick Quizon | June 23, 2014 2:16 PM EST
The New York Knicks have given Carmelo Anthony until June 26 to decide if he’s going to pick up his contract’s “player option” to remain for at least a year with the Big Apple franchise. Three days away from that ultimatum it appears the star forward’s decision is to opt-out and become a free agent by July 1.
Phil Jackson poses during news conference announcing him as the team president of the New York Knicks basketball team at Madison Square Garden in New York
Frank Isola of the New York Daily News and Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports are reporting that indeed “Melo” will be exploring his FA agents which means he can start being courted by interested parties roughly in a week’s time.
A person close to Carmelo Anthony confirms that Melo, as expected, will inform Knicks on Monday that he's opting out. "One hundred percent."
— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) June 22, 2014
As planned, Carmelo Anthony will file notice with Knicks on Monday that he's opted-out of 2014-'15 season on contract, source tells Yahoo. — Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 22, 2014
The move is widely expected in the NBA circles although the arrival of new president Phil Jackson and new head coach Derek Fisher provided the Knicks some hope that they can convince Anthony to stay in New York for at least the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Rather, the Knicks will have to work harder in convincing Melo to stay for the long-term—they can offer a five-year contract worth near $130M, the highest offer any NBA team can tender to the veteran forward.
Other NBA teams can offer Anthony of a contract worth only around $100M and the suitors include the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks and Houston Rockets.
Melo is set to officially make the announcement about his free agency on Monday. Is this just a way for Anthony to get the big bucks from New York? Or will he jilt the Knicks to join other teams considered “contenders” moving forward?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate