Motorola Droid Maxx, Ultra and Mini to Skip Android 4.4.3 KitKat for Android 4.4.4
By Precious Silva | June 23, 2014 1:42 PM EST
Motorola will reportedly be skipping the Android 4.4.3 update for a number of its devices for Android 4.4.4. The Android 4.4.4 update came shortly after Google rolled out the Android 4.4.3 update on a number of Nexus devices. According to reports, instead of fixing most bugs and problems, the firmware brought more issues especially to Nexus 5 and Nexus 4. Devices to receive the Android 4.4.4 software include Motorola Droid Maxx, Ultra and Mini.
A man walks by a video display at the Motorola booth on the second day of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. (Credit: Reuters)
According to a report by Android Origin, Motorola Droid Maxx, Ultra and Mini users can forget about updating to Android 4.4.3 because Motorola has changed plans. The tech company has confirmed officially that it will be releasing the Android 4.4.4 update instead to the mentioned devices. However, although many commended the company for sidestepping the other Android update and saving people from unnecessary bugs, it adds more work for Motorola's engineers.
The decision to change the update instead to Android 4.4.4 will require the company's engineers to redo their work and tweak the update to match the devices. According to The Droid Life, this will also push the Over-the-Air release a few more weeks more. Specifically, analysts expect the release to be 3-5 weeks delayed.
Despite the delay, it should also be a plus for Motorola owners because they will be one of the first in line to experience the Android 4.4.4 update. Previously, reports indicated that the Android 4.4.4 was only released to Nexus devices initially. Android manufacturers often take some time before they can release OTAs of Android updates with some even taking months after release. This should be an achievement on Motorola's part.
Motorola has not confirmed if devices such as Moto G and Moto X will also be in line for the Android 4.4.4 update. It should be just a matter of time before these devices get the update because they are considered more vanilla version including near to zero bloatware.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899