Firefly Rolls Out Visual Search And Buying Capabilites to Amazon Fire Phone
By Naveena Joy | June 23, 2014 1:40 PM EST
Amazon has recently initiated its first smartphone Fire Phone carrying almost all the features which can make him attractive in the market.
The most popular of the handset is Firefly, which uses the phone's built-in camera and recognizes over 100 million different objects, including DVDs, phone numbers, QR codes, CDs, URLs, games and bar codes. These can be purchased in Amazon.
An Amazon representative shows off the Firefly scanning feature on the company's new Fire smartphone at the company's campus in Seattle, Washington June 18, 2014. Amazon.com Inc's new cellphone seeks to offer shoppers instant gratification by recognizing thousands of products, television shows and songs and allowing users to immediately buy them - on the e-commerce giant's own site, of course.
The Fire Phone has a dedicated Firefly button in the lefthand side of the device. It can recognize 245,000 movies and TV episodes, along with 160 live television channels and 35 million songs from the Amazon music similar to Shazam's audio-searching features.
Not only music tracks but Firefly can also connect with other apps, including iHeartRadio to start a radio station based on the tune. It directly plugs into Shazam and Amazon music.
With respect to the TV shows and movies, Firefly will be sending the x-ray data, which integrates additional information on the TV series and characters of the show. Also, Firefly can also identify a painting and bring out the artistic information from Wikipedia.
With the help of semantic boosting and cloud computing, Fire Phone has the capabilities of visual search. The semantic boosting, in case of text, improves character recognition to recognize a phone number accurately. Also, Amazon's software ignores the not so important information and only captures those parts of the image that will matter the most. For example, Firefly can extract the text from the flyer or a banner and turn it into a black and white image.
Amazon also allows third-party developers to get into the service of creating their own applications using the visual search feature through the available new SDK.
MyFitnessPal is planning to bring in the nutritional data for food which Firefly identifies. At the same time, Vino will recognize and give the description of the wine to help users to choose the right bottle. The main point of Amazon is that Firefly is meant to attract customers to its Amazon store so that the entire world gets hold of all the products and ultimately buy them.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories