Firefly Rolls Out Visual Search And Buying Capabilites to Amazon Fire Phone
By Naveena Joy | June 23, 2014 1:40 PM EST
Amazon has recently initiated its first smartphone Fire Phone carrying almost all the features which can make him attractive in the market.
The most popular of the handset is Firefly, which uses the phone's built-in camera and recognizes over 100 million different objects, including DVDs, phone numbers, QR codes, CDs, URLs, games and bar codes. These can be purchased in Amazon.
An Amazon representative shows off the Firefly scanning feature on the company's new Fire smartphone at the company's campus in Seattle, Washington June 18, 2014. Amazon.com Inc's new cellphone seeks to offer shoppers instant gratification by recognizing thousands of products, television shows and songs and allowing users to immediately buy them - on the e-commerce giant's own site, of course.
The Fire Phone has a dedicated Firefly button in the lefthand side of the device. It can recognize 245,000 movies and TV episodes, along with 160 live television channels and 35 million songs from the Amazon music similar to Shazam's audio-searching features.
Not only music tracks but Firefly can also connect with other apps, including iHeartRadio to start a radio station based on the tune. It directly plugs into Shazam and Amazon music.
With respect to the TV shows and movies, Firefly will be sending the x-ray data, which integrates additional information on the TV series and characters of the show. Also, Firefly can also identify a painting and bring out the artistic information from Wikipedia.
With the help of semantic boosting and cloud computing, Fire Phone has the capabilities of visual search. The semantic boosting, in case of text, improves character recognition to recognize a phone number accurately. Also, Amazon's software ignores the not so important information and only captures those parts of the image that will matter the most. For example, Firefly can extract the text from the flyer or a banner and turn it into a black and white image.
Amazon also allows third-party developers to get into the service of creating their own applications using the visual search feature through the available new SDK.
MyFitnessPal is planning to bring in the nutritional data for food which Firefly identifies. At the same time, Vino will recognize and give the description of the wine to help users to choose the right bottle. The main point of Amazon is that Firefly is meant to attract customers to its Amazon store so that the entire world gets hold of all the products and ultimately buy them.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase