Firefly Rolls Out Visual Search And Buying Capabilites to Amazon Fire Phone
By Naveena Joy | June 23, 2014 1:40 PM EST
Amazon has recently initiated its first smartphone Fire Phone carrying almost all the features which can make him attractive in the market.
The most popular of the handset is Firefly, which uses the phone's built-in camera and recognizes over 100 million different objects, including DVDs, phone numbers, QR codes, CDs, URLs, games and bar codes. These can be purchased in Amazon.
An Amazon representative shows off the Firefly scanning feature on the company's new Fire smartphone at the company's campus in Seattle, Washington June 18, 2014. Amazon.com Inc's new cellphone seeks to offer shoppers instant gratification by recognizing thousands of products, television shows and songs and allowing users to immediately buy them - on the e-commerce giant's own site, of course.
The Fire Phone has a dedicated Firefly button in the lefthand side of the device. It can recognize 245,000 movies and TV episodes, along with 160 live television channels and 35 million songs from the Amazon music similar to Shazam's audio-searching features.
Not only music tracks but Firefly can also connect with other apps, including iHeartRadio to start a radio station based on the tune. It directly plugs into Shazam and Amazon music.
With respect to the TV shows and movies, Firefly will be sending the x-ray data, which integrates additional information on the TV series and characters of the show. Also, Firefly can also identify a painting and bring out the artistic information from Wikipedia.
With the help of semantic boosting and cloud computing, Fire Phone has the capabilities of visual search. The semantic boosting, in case of text, improves character recognition to recognize a phone number accurately. Also, Amazon's software ignores the not so important information and only captures those parts of the image that will matter the most. For example, Firefly can extract the text from the flyer or a banner and turn it into a black and white image.
Amazon also allows third-party developers to get into the service of creating their own applications using the visual search feature through the available new SDK.
MyFitnessPal is planning to bring in the nutritional data for food which Firefly identifies. At the same time, Vino will recognize and give the description of the wine to help users to choose the right bottle. The main point of Amazon is that Firefly is meant to attract customers to its Amazon store so that the entire world gets hold of all the products and ultimately buy them.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia