Firefly Rolls Out Visual Search And Buying Capabilites to Amazon Fire Phone
By Naveena Joy | June 23, 2014 1:40 PM EST
Amazon has recently initiated its first smartphone Fire Phone carrying almost all the features which can make him attractive in the market.
The most popular of the handset is Firefly, which uses the phone's built-in camera and recognizes over 100 million different objects, including DVDs, phone numbers, QR codes, CDs, URLs, games and bar codes. These can be purchased in Amazon.
An Amazon representative shows off the Firefly scanning feature on the company's new Fire smartphone at the company's campus in Seattle, Washington June 18, 2014. Amazon.com Inc's new cellphone seeks to offer shoppers instant gratification by recognizing thousands of products, television shows and songs and allowing users to immediately buy them - on the e-commerce giant's own site, of course.
The Fire Phone has a dedicated Firefly button in the lefthand side of the device. It can recognize 245,000 movies and TV episodes, along with 160 live television channels and 35 million songs from the Amazon music similar to Shazam's audio-searching features.
Not only music tracks but Firefly can also connect with other apps, including iHeartRadio to start a radio station based on the tune. It directly plugs into Shazam and Amazon music.
With respect to the TV shows and movies, Firefly will be sending the x-ray data, which integrates additional information on the TV series and characters of the show. Also, Firefly can also identify a painting and bring out the artistic information from Wikipedia.
With the help of semantic boosting and cloud computing, Fire Phone has the capabilities of visual search. The semantic boosting, in case of text, improves character recognition to recognize a phone number accurately. Also, Amazon's software ignores the not so important information and only captures those parts of the image that will matter the most. For example, Firefly can extract the text from the flyer or a banner and turn it into a black and white image.
Amazon also allows third-party developers to get into the service of creating their own applications using the visual search feature through the available new SDK.
MyFitnessPal is planning to bring in the nutritional data for food which Firefly identifies. At the same time, Vino will recognize and give the description of the wine to help users to choose the right bottle. The main point of Amazon is that Firefly is meant to attract customers to its Amazon store so that the entire world gets hold of all the products and ultimately buy them.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones