Game of Thrones Executive Criticised by The Walking Dead Producer Gale Anne Hurd Over Piracy Comment
By Tarun Mazumdar | June 23, 2014 12:45 PM EST
Executive producer of "The Walking Dead," Gale Anne Hurd, slams the idea that piracy helps in spreading the word. She believes that Google should implement strict measures to tackle illegal Web sites distributing pirated content. "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finale has already set a new piracy record as 1.5 million file-sharers downloaded a pirated copy in the first 12 hours, reports TorrentFreak.
"The Walking Dead" executive producer talked to The Guardian and stated that if people want to watch shows like "Game of Thrones" and "TWD," then piracy must be curbed.
"The truth is you wouldn't imagine stealing someone's car [or] a piece of art they have created," says Hurd.
"We are poised on the precipice in filmed entertainment—TV and movies—because of the prevalence of piracy the content creators will not get a revenue stream to the point that they won't be able to create. That is the danger of piracy," Hurd added.
Jeff Bewkes, chief executive of Time Warner, has commented "Game of Thrones" piracy has proved to be a better publicity tool to help increase TV subscriptions than Emmy.
However, Hurd thinks it is a "really dangerous thinking."
She says when consumers go to search for TV shows or movies in search engines, legitimate companies like Netflix are not even in the top 50 results.
Hurd also reveals that pirate Web sites look quite legitimate.
"They have advertising from well-known brands, and they take credit cards. How would the consumer know the difference between legitimate sites and illegitimate sites? There is a lot the advertising industry, credit card industry and search industry can do to help protect legit content," Hurd stated.
"Game of Thrones" is quite popular in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the U.S.A. The show is available via legal channels in the countries mentioned; however subscriptions are quite expensive.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]