MH370 Search Update: More than 100 Days After, Investigators Declare Missing Plane’s Pilot Zaharie Shah the Chief Suspect
By jaskiran kaur | June 23, 2014 12:23 PM EST
More than 100 days have passed and no traces of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 have been found yet. Three months after, Malaysia Police identified missing Boeing 777's captain Zaharie Shah "chief suspect" in the ongoing investigation of missing Malaysian aircraft, according to latest reports.
A woman (L), whose son, daughter-in-law and grandson were aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, cries after she and other family members failed to express their appeals to the airline outside its office in Beijing June 11, 2014. Months of searches have failed to turn up any trace of the missing Boeing 777, which disappeared on March 8 carrying 239 passengers and crew shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing. REUTERS/Jason Lee
According to the The Sunday Times report (via Daily Mail), the police concluded Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah to be the prime suspect in MH370 investigation, after they found "suspicious evidence from a flight simulator in his home." The Web site notes that the 53-year-old pilot practiced various operations on his simulator involving landing and take-off on isolated locations. This included landing strips in southern Indian Ocean.
After investigating all the passengers and crew members of MH370, checks cleared everyone else on board except Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah. Investigators have reportedly been able to acquire those files which were deleted before they found captain's simulator.
It is also said Captain Shah of MH370 had made "no social or work-related future commitments" unlike the other crew members including the co-pilot, Fariq Hamid.
The investigators do not rule out the possibility of mechanical failure or act of terrorism that may have led to the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines plane. However if MH370 disappeared due to human intervention, investigators believe Captain Shah is the most likely "culprit" who carried out that plan. This they reportedly determined after conducting a focused investigation on the captain and more than 170 interviews.
The newspaper also claims that the pilot of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was going through a tough patch in his marriage. However, the claims have been denied by friends and family who continue to defend and support him.
Express UK notes that it was found in the investigation that MH370's captain had practiced flying over the Indian Ocean and "landing on an island with a short runway." Captain Shah had also created some aviation videos which he posted on the internet.
"The police investigation is still ongoing. To date no conclusions can be made as the contributor to the incident and it would be sub judice to say so," Malaysia Police told the newspaper. "Nevertheless, the police are still looking into all possible angles."
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, carrying 239 people, went missing on March 8, 2014 while travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. The tragedy of missing Boeing 777 is one of the biggest mysteries of the aviation industry. No debris and traces related to missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 have been located to date. On March 24, it was declared that the Malaysian aircraft crashed into the southern Indian Ocean and no passengers survived the tragedy.
For more update and information on Missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, read below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Asia Has World’s Best & Worst Airports 2014 [Complete Lists]
- MH370 Oct. 20 Senate Hearing: 'Reckless' April Update Based On Unofficial Briefing, Senate Heard
- World’s Worst Tourist Destinations
- Gwyneth Paltrow To Attend Tasmania’s Tourism Event
- Tasmania Ranks No. 4 In Lonely Planet’s 'Top 10 Regions In The World To Visit In 2015' List
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report