Sony Xperia Z2 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Price and Specs Comparison in Australia
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 23, 2014 11:33 AM EST
Smart phone enthusiasts who are looking to update their mobile units may have a hard time choosing between Sony and Samsung. Both mobile phone companies are in a neck-to-neck battle as to which mobile phone is a better choice. So how does Sony Xperia Z2 fare against the Samsung Galaxy S5?
A Sony Xperia Z2 smartphone (R) and a Sony Xperia Z2 tablet are display at the company's stand during the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 24, 2014. The congress is the wireless industry's largest annual conference and runs February 24-27, 2014.
Both Sony Xperia Z2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 are in the same price range. According to Whistleout.com, Sony Xperia Z2 is priced at $1,320 in the $30 plan at Vodafone. Meanwhile, Samsung Galaxy S5 is priced at $1,350 for the same $30 plan at Vodafone.
In terms of physical appearance, Sony Xperia Z2 is slightly bigger and heavier than Samsung Galaxy S5. According to Sony Mobile Web site, Sony Xperia Z2 measures 146.8-mm in height, 73.3-mm in width, and 8.2-mm in depth. It weighs 163 grams. On the Samsung Web site, Samsung Galaxy S5 measures 142-mm in height, 72.5-mm in width, and 8.1-mm in depth. It weighs 145 grams.
Since Sony Xperia Z2 is slightly bigger than Samsung Galaxy S5, it follows that the display screen is also a bit bigger. Based on the Sony Mobile Web site, Sony Xperia Z2 has a 5.2-inch Triluminos display with a full high quality screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. While on Samsung Web site, Samsung Galaxy S5 has a 5.1-inch super AMOLED screen with the same full high quality screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Processors and OS
In terms of processors and operating systems, Samsung Galaxy S5 has slightly better specs than Sony Xperia Z2. Sony Xperia Z2 has a 2.3 GHz Qualcomm MSM8974AB Quad-core processor running on Android 4.4 Kitkat. Meanwhile, Samsung Galaxy S5 has 2.5GHz Quad core application processor running on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat.
When it comes to camera, Sony Xperia Z2 has more powerful cameras, with a 20.7-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 2.2-megapixel front facing camera. It also has a long list of camera features such as Burst mode, Geotagging, Smile Shutter, Touch capture, and many others. While Samsung Galaxy S5 has 16-megapixel rear facing camera and 2-megapixel front facing camera.
When it comes to battery, Sony Xperia Z2 has standby time of up to 740 hours and talk time of up to 19 hours. On the other hand, Samsung Galaxy S5 has standby time of up to 390 hours and talk time of 21 hours.
Both Sony Xperia Z2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 have dust-resistant and water-resistant capabilities. Both gadgets are also preloaded with Google apps like Google Hangouts, Google Chrome, Google Play and others. But Sony Xperia Z2 has additional entertainment features like 3D and motion gaming, TV launcher, SensMe and SensMe slideshow, and xLoud Experience - audio filter technology from Sony.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight