FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #38 Greece vs. Ivory Coast
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 23, 2014 9:39 AM EST
Greece 2 Ivory Coast 1
Ivory Coast's Geoffroy Serey Die cries during the playing of his national anthem before the 2014 World Cup Group C soccer match against Colombia at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia, June 19, 2014.
The thirty eighth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Greece and Ivory Coast. The Group C match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as the result of this match will decide if Greece will stay in the tournament or not. Ivory Coast will go to the next round if it wins it.
Greece: Greece has had a lacklustre tournament so far. After its 0-3 debacle against Colombia, it managed to settle for a goalless draw against Japan. Its extreme defensive strategies have not yet worked so far. It failed to score in its first two matches. It has to score against Ivory Coast as it must win this match with a minimum 3-goal difference and hope that Japan does not win its next match against Colombia. That is the only way it can qualify for the next round. The way it has played so far, it seems pretty unlikely that it will manage to secure such a big win against Ivory Coast. However, it will be "now or never" for Greece as this will be its last chance in the tournament. Things will be difficult anyway while it will miss its captain Kostas Katsouranis due to a red card in the previous match.
Ivory Coast: Ivory Coast has had a mixed tournament so far. It won against Japan. In fact, it was one goal behind when it scored twice to win the game. Its 1-2 defeat against Colombia meant that it would have to wait for the result of this match to determine its future in the tournament. With Japan and Greece having 1 point each after 2 matches, things could have been easier for Ivory Coast which has already secured 3 points. Its coach Sabri Lamouchi was blamed for getting "obsessed" with playing 36-year-old Didier Drogba after the defeat against Colombia. However, Lamouchi defended his decision, indicating that he would continue to trust the most iconic footballer the country ever produced. Ivory Coast must win to secure its berth in the "group of 16" as it cannot depend on how Japan performs against Colombia.
Head to Head
These two teams never played against each other before.
Greece: Georgios Samaras and Konstantinos Mitroglou
Ivory Coast: Wilfried Bony and Gervinho
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 24, which means it is 6 am on June 25 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio Castelao in Fortaleza.
Greece will continue its disappointing run. Ivory Coast is not going to lose this opportunity to secure a place in the next round. Ivory Coast will win it 3-0.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China