FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #37 Japan vs. Colombia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 23, 2014 9:15 AM EST
Japan 1 Colombia 4
Colombia's James Rodriguez (L) celebrates next to teammate Juan Cuadrado scoring against Ivory Coast during their 2014 World Cup Group C soccer match at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia June 19, 2014.
The thirty seventh match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Japan and Colombia. The Group C match should be quite an interesting contest between the two as this will be Japan's last chance to try for a berth in the "group of 16." Colombia, on the other hand, will try to finish the group stages with another win.
Japan: Japan lost a close match against Ivory Coast. Its second match against Greece was one of the very few matches in this year's world cup that ended in a goalless draw. Even though Japan played competitive football, its major obstacle to victory was the inability to score. Japan scored only 1 goal in 2 matches and conceded a couple. It even failed to score against a 10-man Greek squad even though it dominated on most occasions. If Japan aspires to win against Colombia and leave the door to qualify in the next round open, it has to score. Japan coach Alberto Zaccheroni knows that it is his team's last chance. It must win against the group leader Colombia with a minimum 2-goal difference and hope that Ivory Coast does not win its next match against Greece.
Colombia: Colombia has technically qualified for the next round. It has won the first two matches in the group stage. Even if it loses this match, it will still go to the next round. In that scenario, Ivory Coast is the only team which can level points with Colombia with a win against Greece. However, that won't prevent Colombia from going to the "round of 16." Even though this will be only the second time in Colombia's history that it will play in the "group of 16," Colombia coach Jose Pekerman is not willing to celebrate much. He has said that he would be looking forward to playing against Japan which is "capable of fighting." Colombia does need to keep its head cool to continue to perform.
Head to Head
These two teams played twice against each other before. One match ended in a draw, and Colombia won the other 1-0.
Japan: Keisuke Honda & Shinji Kagawa
Colombia: Juan Quintero & James Rodriguez
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 4 pm (local time) on June 24, which means it is 6 am on June 25 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba.
Colombia will continue to do well. Japan will fail to score enough to win this match. Colombia will win the match 3-1. Japan will fail to go to the next round.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6