FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #40 Costa Rica vs. England
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 23, 2014 9:07 AM EST
Costa Rica 0 England 0
England's Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring against Uruguay during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo June 19, 2014.
The fortieth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Costa Rica and England. The Group D match is the last chance for England to restore its pride as it has already been eliminated from the world cup. Costa Rica, on the other hand, will definitely go for the kill to make history by winning all three group matches, a feat it has never achieved in a world cup before.
Costa Rica: Costa Rica came as an outsider in the "Group of Death" as the other three teams (Italy, England and Uruguay) were much better than the Central American team on paper. Even a draw against England could have secured its place in the "group of 16" but Jorge Luis Pinto's team had other plans. It turned out to be the dark horse in the group that defeated one big team after another. Bryan Ruiz's goal was enough to beat Italy. Now it will definitely try to beat England and storm in to the next round. It reached the "round of 16" only once before in 1990. However, it did not manage to win all the group matches as it lost to Brazil. This time, even a draw will put it in the top spot, a first time in Costa Rica's history.
England: England became the world champion in 1966. However, it has never managed to reach a world cup final ever since. In fact, it managed to reach the semi-finals only once and quarter finals only 5 times in 1990 after playing 12 world cups. England's abysmal misery at the world cup continued this year also as it has been eliminated even before playing all the group matches. It will face the main culprit of its debacle, Costa Rica, in the next match. If England loses against the South American team, it will lose all 3 matched in the group stages. The good news is Wayne Rooney scored for the first time in a world cup. Rooney believed that his team suffered from lack of gamesmanship. This match is England's last chance to restore some pride.
Head to Head
These two teams never played against each other before.
Costa Rica: Bryan Ruiz and Joel Campbell
England: Wayne Rooney and Raheem Sterling
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 2 pm (local time) on June 24, which means it is 2 am on June 25 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio Mineirao in Belo Horizonte.
England will not lose the opportunity to show its true potential for the last time. It will win 2-1. Rooney will score again.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS