FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #40 Costa Rica vs. England
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 23, 2014 9:07 AM EST
Costa Rica 0 England 0
England's Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring against Uruguay during their 2014 World Cup Group D soccer match at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo June 19, 2014.
The fortieth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Costa Rica and England. The Group D match is the last chance for England to restore its pride as it has already been eliminated from the world cup. Costa Rica, on the other hand, will definitely go for the kill to make history by winning all three group matches, a feat it has never achieved in a world cup before.
Costa Rica: Costa Rica came as an outsider in the "Group of Death" as the other three teams (Italy, England and Uruguay) were much better than the Central American team on paper. Even a draw against England could have secured its place in the "group of 16" but Jorge Luis Pinto's team had other plans. It turned out to be the dark horse in the group that defeated one big team after another. Bryan Ruiz's goal was enough to beat Italy. Now it will definitely try to beat England and storm in to the next round. It reached the "round of 16" only once before in 1990. However, it did not manage to win all the group matches as it lost to Brazil. This time, even a draw will put it in the top spot, a first time in Costa Rica's history.
England: England became the world champion in 1966. However, it has never managed to reach a world cup final ever since. In fact, it managed to reach the semi-finals only once and quarter finals only 5 times in 1990 after playing 12 world cups. England's abysmal misery at the world cup continued this year also as it has been eliminated even before playing all the group matches. It will face the main culprit of its debacle, Costa Rica, in the next match. If England loses against the South American team, it will lose all 3 matched in the group stages. The good news is Wayne Rooney scored for the first time in a world cup. Rooney believed that his team suffered from lack of gamesmanship. This match is England's last chance to restore some pride.
Head to Head
These two teams never played against each other before.
Costa Rica: Bryan Ruiz and Joel Campbell
England: Wayne Rooney and Raheem Sterling
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 2 pm (local time) on June 24, which means it is 2 am on June 25 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio Mineirao in Belo Horizonte.
England will not lose the opportunity to show its true potential for the last time. It will win 2-1. Rooney will score again.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen