Hobart Nude Swim Crowd Doubles to 500+
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 23, 2014 8:51 AM EST
Over 500 Australians joined Hobart's second nude swim on Sunday, double the previous year's number of 230 midwinter swimmers. The event, Hobart's second winter solstice nude swim, is part of the Dark MOFO arts festival.
Kate Gould, executive producer of Dark MOFO, explained the doubling in number to last year's participants coming back and bringing friends.
Fortunately for 2014's nude swimmers, it was warmer this year as the temperature was around 7 degrees Celsius in the morning, while water was at 11C.
The participants came wearing on their red swimming caps, took off their towels and plunged themselves on the cold water in their birthday suit at 7:42 am. There were screams as the swimmers attempted t reach a row of buoys 50 metres off Long Beach at Sandy Bay, Sky News reports.
David Day, one of the swimmers, said, "You get your gear off and you're all the same ... You're just people, you're beings and all just sharing it together."
Police described this year's event as more organised, unlike in 2013 when the venue had to be moved to a different location. Hobart Lord Mayor Damon Davies thinks the city has the potential for becoming a nude swim destination in Australia.
"I think it could become one of the special events of the year and this whole beach will be taken over," he stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Streaks of Jealousy Found Among Dogs
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On