Hobart Nude Swim Crowd Doubles to 500+
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 23, 2014 8:51 AM EST
Over 500 Australians joined Hobart's second nude swim on Sunday, double the previous year's number of 230 midwinter swimmers. The event, Hobart's second winter solstice nude swim, is part of the Dark MOFO arts festival.
Kate Gould, executive producer of Dark MOFO, explained the doubling in number to last year's participants coming back and bringing friends.
Fortunately for 2014's nude swimmers, it was warmer this year as the temperature was around 7 degrees Celsius in the morning, while water was at 11C.
The participants came wearing on their red swimming caps, took off their towels and plunged themselves on the cold water in their birthday suit at 7:42 am. There were screams as the swimmers attempted t reach a row of buoys 50 metres off Long Beach at Sandy Bay, Sky News reports.
David Day, one of the swimmers, said, "You get your gear off and you're all the same ... You're just people, you're beings and all just sharing it together."
Police described this year's event as more organised, unlike in 2013 when the venue had to be moved to a different location. Hobart Lord Mayor Damon Davies thinks the city has the potential for becoming a nude swim destination in Australia.
"I think it could become one of the special events of the year and this whole beach will be taken over," he stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Climate Change Is Eating Away The Great Barrier Reef
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble