Boxing News 2014: Algieri Camp Starts Discussion With Pacquiao Camp for Potential Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 23, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Joe DeGuardia, one of the promoters of new WBO junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri, disclosed over the weekend that he has started discussing with Top Rank boss Bob Arum the possibility of the newly minted champ fighting eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao on Nov 27.
Pacquiao had Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez on top of the short list of opponents for his next fight, but Marquez appears not interested in a fifth match. Also on the list was Russian boxer Ruslan Provodnikov, but his surprise loss to Algieri changed things.
"We'll see where that leads ... I think that when all is said and done, marketability-wide, Chris Aligieri has proven himself to be a tremendously marketable fights," ABS-CBN quoted DeGuardia.
Algieri himself has told ESPN he has very realistic chances of being Pacquiao's next opponent even if boxing observers thought he had a poor chance of beating Provodnikov.
"These are all things that if you would have asked people a couple of months ago, they would have said the same thing about me getting the Ruslan fight ... Well, I ended up getting it and I ended up winning it, so why not get me the Pacquiao fight and see if I can do it again?"
However, while Sean Crose of Boxing Insider finds Algieri a likeable guy, the question if the new champ is the best possible opponent for a boxing icon like Pacquiao is irrelevant because such a bout would bring in a lot of Pay-per-View hits.
But he believes Algieri and Provodnikov should first have a rematch and if the American boxer convincingly wins against his Russian opponent, then he would truly deserve a shot at Pacquiao.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS