Boxing News 2014: Algieri Camp Starts Discussion With Pacquiao Camp for Potential Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 23, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Joe DeGuardia, one of the promoters of new WBO junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri, disclosed over the weekend that he has started discussing with Top Rank boss Bob Arum the possibility of the newly minted champ fighting eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao on Nov 27.
Pacquiao had Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez on top of the short list of opponents for his next fight, but Marquez appears not interested in a fifth match. Also on the list was Russian boxer Ruslan Provodnikov, but his surprise loss to Algieri changed things.
"We'll see where that leads ... I think that when all is said and done, marketability-wide, Chris Aligieri has proven himself to be a tremendously marketable fights," ABS-CBN quoted DeGuardia.
Algieri himself has told ESPN he has very realistic chances of being Pacquiao's next opponent even if boxing observers thought he had a poor chance of beating Provodnikov.
"These are all things that if you would have asked people a couple of months ago, they would have said the same thing about me getting the Ruslan fight ... Well, I ended up getting it and I ended up winning it, so why not get me the Pacquiao fight and see if I can do it again?"
However, while Sean Crose of Boxing Insider finds Algieri a likeable guy, the question if the new champ is the best possible opponent for a boxing icon like Pacquiao is irrelevant because such a bout would bring in a lot of Pay-per-View hits.
But he believes Algieri and Provodnikov should first have a rematch and if the American boxer convincingly wins against his Russian opponent, then he would truly deserve a shot at Pacquiao.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge