Boxing News 2014: Algieri Camp Starts Discussion With Pacquiao Camp for Potential Bout
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 23, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Joe DeGuardia, one of the promoters of new WBO junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri, disclosed over the weekend that he has started discussing with Top Rank boss Bob Arum the possibility of the newly minted champ fighting eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao on Nov 27.
Pacquiao had Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez on top of the short list of opponents for his next fight, but Marquez appears not interested in a fifth match. Also on the list was Russian boxer Ruslan Provodnikov, but his surprise loss to Algieri changed things.
"We'll see where that leads ... I think that when all is said and done, marketability-wide, Chris Aligieri has proven himself to be a tremendously marketable fights," ABS-CBN quoted DeGuardia.
Algieri himself has told ESPN he has very realistic chances of being Pacquiao's next opponent even if boxing observers thought he had a poor chance of beating Provodnikov.
"These are all things that if you would have asked people a couple of months ago, they would have said the same thing about me getting the Ruslan fight ... Well, I ended up getting it and I ended up winning it, so why not get me the Pacquiao fight and see if I can do it again?"
However, while Sean Crose of Boxing Insider finds Algieri a likeable guy, the question if the new champ is the best possible opponent for a boxing icon like Pacquiao is irrelevant because such a bout would bring in a lot of Pay-per-View hits.
But he believes Algieri and Provodnikov should first have a rematch and if the American boxer convincingly wins against his Russian opponent, then he would truly deserve a shot at Pacquiao.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand