USA vs. Portugal Experts Pick, Injury Update, Predicted Lineup & Tactics – World Cup 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 22, 2014 5:48 PM EST
The United States will gun for a spot in the knockout stages, but a very determined Portuguese side is expected to give all their best as they look to stay alive in the 2014 World Cup.
Clint Dempsey of the U.S. celebrates after scoring their first goal during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match against Ghana at the Dunas arena in Natal June 16, 2014.
What's at Stake?
*The United States, who sneaked past Ghana 2-1 in the opener, needs three more points to advance into the next round of the World Cup. A loss to Portugal could put them into a do-or-die affair with the Germans.
*Portugal must consider this upcoming showdown with USA a must win, after Ghana forced a 2-2 draw with Germany on Saturday. A weary Crisitiano Ronaldo (knee injury) will have to perform at his peak for Portugal to stay alive in a tournament.
"United States coach Jürgen Klinsmann was in charge of his native Germany when they beat Portugal 3-1 in the 2006 World Cup's third-place play-off. Under the former Tottenham striker Clint Dempsey, the United States are a hard team to beat with huge experience throughout the side," the Telegraph football expert John Ley stated in his preview.
United States: The Yankees will be playing without one of the team's most prolific goal scorers in Jozy Altidore (hamstring injury).
Portugal: Ronaldo's knee remain a big concern heading into Sunday's game, but the absences of defenders Pepe (suspended with red card) and Fabio Coentrao could give the United States an opening to capitalize.
"Portugal defender Pepe's red card against Germany means he is suspended fo this game. In addition, fellow defender Fabio Coentrao will miss the remainder of the World Cup due to a groin injury," Ley said of Portugal's depleted backline.
Predicted Lineup and Formation
USA (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Howard; Johnson, Brooks, Cameron, Beasley; Beckerman, Bradley, Jones, Bedoya; Dempsey; Johansson.
Out: Altidore (hamstring).
Portugal (Possible, 4-3-3): Patricio; Pereira, Costa, Alves, Almeida; Veloso, Moutinho, Meireles; Ronaldo, Postiga, Nani.
Out: Pepe (suspended), Coentrao (groin).
Ley is expected an evenly matched affair between the Americans and the Portuguese, as backed up by the results of their last five meetings (2 wins, 2 losses and one draw for each team). However, Ley believes Portugal has that extra talent to succeed in this all-important game.
Meanwhile, BBC's Mark Lawrenson predicted the other way around, as he foresees a shocker by USA, which would end Ronaldo and Portugal's campaign in Brazil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales