Super-Slim 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 on Release Date Confirmed with 7-Row, 5-Column Apps Icon HomeScreen Configuration – Reports
By Erik Pineda | June 22, 2014 12:16 PM EST
Ahead of the iPhone 6 release date in the second half of 2014, freshly-leaked details about the device showed off a phablet-size display profile and its likely iOS 8 screen apps icon placement that dwarfs over the previous models.
CTF0 via DeviantArt
iPhone 6 Concept Image
In the latest iPhone 6 leak to come out, courtesy of 9to5Mac's Mark Gurman, the device's alleged LCD backlight panel was showcased with the images revealing the front and back portion of the display panel.
According to Gurman, the pictures were provided by Australian blogger Sonny Dickson, who is renowned for sharing accurate depictions of the iPhones and iPads prior to their commercial availability. That would mean the new pics virtually confirmed the iPhone 6 phablet screen profile.
And the images indeed backed numerous reports of a 5.5-inch screen for the next iPhone. The LCD panel is seen with a ruler place over it that provides a measurement reading of 14 centimetres, which is equivalent to 5.5-inch.
The Dickson photos, Gurman said, represent the first solid suggestion of larger screen iPhone that will take on the likes of the Galaxy Note 4.
It is also understood that both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models will hit the market "in a thinner all-aluminium body with similar colour tones to those sold for the iPhone 5S," the same 9to5Mac report added.
The devices will also be powered by the recently unveiled iOS 8 and according to BGR, a picture posted on the Chinese social networking site Weibo pointed to their likely expanded home screen in width and length - with the application icons on a five-column and seven-row placement rendition, the latter includes the five-app iOS dock row.
However, BGR noted that the Weibo leak carried a screen resolution of 1600 x 966 that runs in counter with Gurman's assertion that the two iPhone 6s will render in identical 1704 x 960 screen pixels.
Also, the iOS 8 home screen will reportedly introduce a new app called Watch Utility that likely will be the iWatch control centre. This likelihood aligns with the projection coming from numerous analysts that the rumoured Apple smartwatch will launch as a companion wearable device that will work with the iPhone 6.
As volume production is said to start on July or is already underway for both the iPhone 6 and the iWatch, the simultaneous release date is likely between September and October 2014, give or take possible delays due to manufacturing hiccups.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft