Meet New King Felipe VI of Spain, His Glamorous Queen Letizia and Their Daughters
June 20, 2014 9:23 PM EST
Meet New Spanish King Felipe VI, His Glamorous Queen Letizia and Their Daughters
Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y de Grecia
Spain's Crown Prince is now King Felipe VI of Spain. He has ascended to the throne after his father, King Juan Carlos, abdicated it recently in his favour. Felipe was sworn in as the new king on Thursday, June 19, 2014 in a simple ceremony held in Madrid.
King Felipe VI, 46, and is married to Queen Letizia Ortiz Rocasolane. They have two daughters, Princesses Leonor and Sofia.
Felipe is the third and the youngest child of King Juan Carlos and Reina Sophia. He has two older siblings, Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina.
Felipe studied at the Santa Maria de los Rosales. Like their father, his two daughters also attend the same school. He attended high school at the Lakefield College in Canada and college at the Autonomous University of Madrid. He holds degrees in Law and Economics as well as a Masters degree in Foreign Service.
The new King was a member of the Spanish Olympic sailing team that participated in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.
Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, Queen of Spain
Letizia was born a commoner in Oviedo, Asturias in northern Spain. Incidentally, before ascending to the throne as Queen, she held the title of The Princess of Asturias.
Before her relationship with the current King, Letizia was married in a civil ceremony to Alfonso Guerrero Perez from 1998-1999. The marriage ended in divorce and since they were not married in a Church, there were no obstacles to her marrying Prince Felipe in a Roman Catholic ceremony on May 22, 2004.
Before becoming a member of the Royal Family, Letizia was a popular broadcaster having worked with international media institutions such as Bloomberg and CNN. She was working as a news anchor for Spanish network Television Espanola when she married Prince Felipe and ended her broadcasting career.
Leonor, Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia.
Crown Princess Leonor was born on October 31, 2005. She was called Infanta. She has taken the title of Princess of Asturias, just after her parents became King and Queen of Spain on June 19, 2014.
As Princess of Asturias she is now the first in line of succession to the Spanish throne. Her sister, the Princess Sofia, is second in line of succession.
Sophia was named after her paternal grandmother, Queen Sofia, a princess of Greece and Denmark. Infanta Sofia was born on April 29, 2007.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James