World Cup Live Streaming: Italy vs. Costa Rica Preview and Betting Odds
By James Patrick Quizon | June 20, 2014 6:30 PM EST
Costa Rica and Italy look to build something big from their impressive opening match victories over Uruguay and England when they face off against each other on Friday at the Arena Pernambuco starting at 1:00 pm local time (2:00 am in Australia)
Italy's national soccer player Mario Balotelli (L) and his coach Cesare Prandelli look on during a training session ahead of the 2014 World Cup at the Portobello training center in Mangaratiba June 11, 2014.
Costa Rica took advantage of a Uruguayan squad playing without superstar Luiz Suarez winning 3-1 last Saturday while Italy beat the now-eliminated England team, 2-1 in their own opener.
Los Ticos’ shocking victory over Uruguay puts them in contention in Group D and on the threshold of topping it if they manage another upset over the Italians.
It was in Italy in 1990 that Costa Rica made their first World Cup appearance and they made the most out of it by reaching the Round of 16. They failed to qualify in the next WC editions but returned in 2002 (South Korea/Japan) and 2006 (Germany), both times getting the boot in the group stage.
Meanwhile, the Azzuri’s pinpoint passing took care of business against England. They had a 93 per cent pass completion in that game and rated the highest ever since the 1996 World Cup, according to Independent.co.uk.
Rich in World Cup tradition, this is their 18th appearance in the biggest football tournament in the world.
They look to continue their good start with a renewed focus, particularly star Mario Balotelli.
"I hope this is Italy's World Cup, not Mario's," Balotelli declared to ESPNFC. "I'm not really interested in being compared with the big stars. In the end it's the squad that wins. I don't want to be a big star. I want to win the World Cup.
Both teams know how to attack and score; Costa Rica opened the tournament with three goals while Italy has not been held scoreless in a WC event since 1996.
Italy is a big favourite in the betting lines valued at 1.14 to win the match while the underdogs Costa Rica is at 5.2. In the three-way betting, Italy is at 1.53, Costa Rica is at 7.00 and a Draw is at 4.2.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies