World's 'Most Popular YouTuber' Makes $4M Annually
By Naveena Joy | June 20, 2014 5:04 PM EST
Felix Kjellberg, a Swedish YouTuber, is the world's most popular Internet celebrity who earns almost $4 million yearly through ad sales.
According to his profile in The Wall Street Journal, most of his earnings are straight profit which comes from more than 27 million subscribers on his YouTube channel.
Kjellberg, 24, known as PewDiePie, created his first channel five years ago. In December 2012, he signed a deal with online video content creator Maker Studios, which sold itself to the media giant Walt Disney in a deal in March worth nearly $1 billion.
The Swedish YouTuber is popular in posting funny videos which are the basic video game reviews. But it has the "Let's Play"-style programs where he plays a title and narrates his experience to the viewer.
He said his videos are encouraging developers to create games that are not only fun to play but would also enjoy watching. Kjellberg added, "It's cool to have this kind of influence, but at the same time it's kind of scary".
For the past two weeks, Kjellberg posted more than two dozen videos featuring games like "Among The Sleep" and "Next Car Game," which have managed to attract more than 2 million views.
His most popular video, "A Funny Montage," has gotten more than 51 million views since it was posted on June 4 last year.
In the previous year, the PewDiePie channel rose as the most watched on Google's online video service, taking over the sensational Internet programs like "One Direction" and "Miley Cyrus."
Before Kjellberg reached his level of popularity, he went to college in Gothenburg, Sweden and uploaded videos during his spare time. Then he dropped out of school and started selling hotdogs for a living.
The original name of the YouTube account was PewDie, which was an arrangement of the "pew" sound of a laser gun and "die" for death. When he lost his account password and created a new name, he decided to add "Pie" at the end of his original name.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS