World's 'Most Popular YouTuber' Makes $4M Annually
By Naveena Joy | June 20, 2014 5:04 PM EST
Felix Kjellberg, a Swedish YouTuber, is the world's most popular Internet celebrity who earns almost $4 million yearly through ad sales.
According to his profile in The Wall Street Journal, most of his earnings are straight profit which comes from more than 27 million subscribers on his YouTube channel.
Kjellberg, 24, known as PewDiePie, created his first channel five years ago. In December 2012, he signed a deal with online video content creator Maker Studios, which sold itself to the media giant Walt Disney in a deal in March worth nearly $1 billion.
The Swedish YouTuber is popular in posting funny videos which are the basic video game reviews. But it has the "Let's Play"-style programs where he plays a title and narrates his experience to the viewer.
He said his videos are encouraging developers to create games that are not only fun to play but would also enjoy watching. Kjellberg added, "It's cool to have this kind of influence, but at the same time it's kind of scary".
For the past two weeks, Kjellberg posted more than two dozen videos featuring games like "Among The Sleep" and "Next Car Game," which have managed to attract more than 2 million views.
His most popular video, "A Funny Montage," has gotten more than 51 million views since it was posted on June 4 last year.
In the previous year, the PewDiePie channel rose as the most watched on Google's online video service, taking over the sensational Internet programs like "One Direction" and "Miley Cyrus."
Before Kjellberg reached his level of popularity, he went to college in Gothenburg, Sweden and uploaded videos during his spare time. Then he dropped out of school and started selling hotdogs for a living.
The original name of the YouTube account was PewDie, which was an arrangement of the "pew" sound of a laser gun and "die" for death. When he lost his account password and created a new name, he decided to add "Pie" at the end of his original name.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- Destiny News: Burning Questions Answered, New Info for Game Spotted and New Artwork Showcased
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Speculations for Mega Evolutions; X and Y Double Battles Detailed
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff