Scenes From the Coronation of King Felipe VI of Spain
June 20, 2014 4:38 PM EST
Scenes From Spain's New King Felipe VI's Coronation
Spain has sworn in a new King Felipe IV in a simple ceremony on Thursday. The ceremony was held sans pomp and glamour in the country's capital on Thursday. The simple ceremony was attended by The King's immediate family and some of the country's top politicians.
King Juan Carlos announced his abdication on June 2 in favour of his son in an attempt to turn over a new leaf for the country and revive the monarchy which has been facing major criticism in recent years including a corruption scandal involving the Infanta Cristina.
King Juan Carlos, now 76 is hoping that the youth and popularity of his son, new King Felipe VI and his glamorous wife, Queen Letizia will help unite the country once again and lead them forward to a better economic future.
In his oath which he delivered at the hemicycle at the Parliament, King Felipe said as much as well by saying that he aims for a diverse but unified Spain. King Felipe wore a military uniform and his father, King Juan Carlos fastened a red sash around his waist symbolising that he is now the Spanish Captain General while Queen Letizia wore an elegant long-sleeved, knee-length ivory dress.
The couple have two children, Infanta Leonor who now assumes the title of Princess of Asturias, now the youngest direct heir to a European Crown. She is eight years old and her sister Pincess Sophia is a year younger.
The Royal family paraded through the streets of central Madrid in a black, open-top Rolls Royce from the Congress of Deputies after the swearing-in ceremony and headed to the Royal Palace which is just across the Almudena Cathedral where the couple were married ten years ago. A large crowd gathered at the Plaza Oriente fronting the Royal Palace waving flags and cheering as the Royal party passed and eventually made an appearance at the palace balcony.
The Royal couple shared a kiss on the balcony reminiscent of a Royal wedding which elicited cheers from the onlooking crowd of supporters.
The new era of the Spanish monarchy is facing a steep climb to recovery from a recent economic blow and employment issues as well as separatist issues coming from the Catalan region. These issues remain under the surface as a joyful and optimistic crowd welcomed the new King and his family to the throne.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Winner: Eliminated Contestants Predict Who Could Win It All
- Prince Harry Enjoys Three-Day Visit To Oman, Picks Up Present For Prince George And Performs With Traditional Sword Dancers
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- ‘Castle’ Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic Talks About ‘Castle’ Series End, Does Not Want Show To ‘Overstay Its Welcome’
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4: 'Asylum' And 'Freak Show' Connected Reveals Stolen Script, Evan Peters Sings In Episode 7
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports