Scenes From the Coronation of King Felipe VI of Spain
June 20, 2014 4:38 PM EST
Scenes From Spain's New King Felipe VI's Coronation
Spain has sworn in a new King Felipe IV in a simple ceremony on Thursday. The ceremony was held sans pomp and glamour in the country's capital on Thursday. The simple ceremony was attended by The King's immediate family and some of the country's top politicians.
King Juan Carlos announced his abdication on June 2 in favour of his son in an attempt to turn over a new leaf for the country and revive the monarchy which has been facing major criticism in recent years including a corruption scandal involving the Infanta Cristina.
King Juan Carlos, now 76 is hoping that the youth and popularity of his son, new King Felipe VI and his glamorous wife, Queen Letizia will help unite the country once again and lead them forward to a better economic future.
In his oath which he delivered at the hemicycle at the Parliament, King Felipe said as much as well by saying that he aims for a diverse but unified Spain. King Felipe wore a military uniform and his father, King Juan Carlos fastened a red sash around his waist symbolising that he is now the Spanish Captain General while Queen Letizia wore an elegant long-sleeved, knee-length ivory dress.
The couple have two children, Infanta Leonor who now assumes the title of Princess of Asturias, now the youngest direct heir to a European Crown. She is eight years old and her sister Pincess Sophia is a year younger.
The Royal family paraded through the streets of central Madrid in a black, open-top Rolls Royce from the Congress of Deputies after the swearing-in ceremony and headed to the Royal Palace which is just across the Almudena Cathedral where the couple were married ten years ago. A large crowd gathered at the Plaza Oriente fronting the Royal Palace waving flags and cheering as the Royal party passed and eventually made an appearance at the palace balcony.
The Royal couple shared a kiss on the balcony reminiscent of a Royal wedding which elicited cheers from the onlooking crowd of supporters.
The new era of the Spanish monarchy is facing a steep climb to recovery from a recent economic blow and employment issues as well as separatist issues coming from the Catalan region. These issues remain under the surface as a joyful and optimistic crowd welcomed the new King and his family to the throne.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft